Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Thumbs up HELP! Can anyone tell me where this hose goes?!

Hi all,

New member here! Thank you in advance for the help. I just finished replacing the AOS (by looking at all of the advice on this forum) on my 02 boxster standard model.

However, during the final stages of installation of the AOS I accidently pulled out a hose. I am assuming it is a vaccum hose from the research I have done thus far. After taking it to a mechanic they suggested I take out the AOS again and find the hose from there, and with them doing it costing over 1K.

I'll post the pictures here.

Thanks!

Jmo1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Uh sorry, could you point to the hose in question?
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Here is an updated picture of the hose. The capped end with the duct tape and the side which is still attached are both circled.

Also, I am now getting check engine codes p1128 and p1130. I am not sure if this is do to the hose not being connected or an error with the recent installation of the AOS.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

I found this on another thread. I don't know what the names of the parts are, but the piece in your pic looks like #18 and the vacuum line goes to #15.

Good luck!

EDIT:

It looks like #18 is the SAI Changeover Valve and the vacuum line in question is supposed to go to #15, the Intake Resonance Flap.

OOPS!! Please disregard the attachment below. It turns out it's from a 996 and I don't know how to remove the attachment.

So, in the diagram above, #15 looks to me more like an EGR valve or SAI valve?

Hopefully this helps, it's all I got.
Attached Images

Last edited by piper6909; 11-01-2019 at 11:26 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

Here's another diagram I found. Out of the three, hopefully one matches yours. In this diagram, the vacuum line in question comes out of #3 and is supposed to go to #2.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #6

Thank you all for the advice! I was thinking it was an SAI related tube but thought otherwise because the component shown in the picture looks smaller than other pictures of SAI units I have seen. I will do some more digging around to see if I can find where the It might connect. Where is the EGR valve located in one of these?
Old 11-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I can't tell which line had the tape on it by just seeing the taped end? Where is the other end. Your codes are most likely from a vacuum leak because you have the hose disconnected.

Look through some posts like these for more pics of how the hoses go:
Where does this go - vacuum valve

vacuum line question
Old 11-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #8

The other end of the taped hose is the one that is circled and attached. The taped end is the disconnected hose from the attached other circle which is most likely the SAI unit. From the other posts below it seems like the taped end will lead to the EGR valve. However, I do not know where the EGR valve is located in relation to the rest of the engine. Hopefully, once I attach the hose those codes will go away! Just gotta find that connection first.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo1232 View Post
The other end of the taped hose is the one that is circled and attached. The taped end is the disconnected hose from the attached other circle which is most likely the SAI unit.

Quote:
From the other posts below it seems like the taped end will lead to the EGR valve. However, I do not know where the EGR valve is located in relation to the rest of the engine. Hopefully, once I attach the hose those codes will go away! Just gotta find that connection first.
These engines use a secondary air injection system (SAI) which blows outside air into the exhaust . They do NOT have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR). We have pics of the SAI system posted in a variety of poses for you, but here's one more if it helps. Most of it is located on the right side of the engine under the intake manifold:

* Note, that picture is my 2001 Manual transmission model parts laid out. Your 2002 will not have B and C, and will have the additional attachments for the Tiptronic cooling.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-01-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Found the pic I was looking for
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote