986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Extended Warranties (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7653-extended-warranties.html)

MDBoxsterS 10-06-2006 11:55 AM

Extended Warranties

Is anyone using extended warranties? I have a 2002 Boxster S with 7400 miles on it. Just bought it. The dealer included a 2 year base warranty. Engine and drivetrain..

Anyone know if this base insurance is enough or should I consider one of the $2500 - $3500 warranties for 3 or 4 years and up to 75K or 100K miles? Who is a good insurer? What should I be looking for?

Jimmy

Norminhouston 10-06-2006 01:03 PM

The warranty on my '03 S expired last month. I purchased a bumper to bumper warranty from Warranty Direct 4yrs/60,000 miles for $1788 with a $200 ded. I also added coverage for the emissions system for an additional $100.
I don't usually buy extended warranties but with all the horror stories around, I thought it best to go with a warranty.

MDBoxsterS 10-06-2006 01:25 PM

I agree. My car is pristine and want to ensure that some of the stories I am hearing on here do not come true! Im interested in comparing the details of aftermarket waranties. The one my dealer sold me was for a base warranty. What is NOT covered.

fishage 10-06-2006 01:35 PM

Bought a 4 year extended warranty from Great Lakes when I bought my 2002 in August. $1800, unlimited miles. The large list of parts covered convinced me, as it is going to be my daily (year round) driver, and I'm certain I'll use the $1800 worth of the parts they listed over the next four years.

pBunny 10-14-2006 05:04 PM

Due Diligence on Xtnd Warranty

I just got a 99 Viola/tan with 9400 miles. It belonged to a club member, so I know the history.

Right now the best overall coverage appears to be from Warranty Direct. Anyone had actual history with them, or any warranty claim yet?

pBunny

Travis 10-14-2006 05:20 PM

I also bought an extended warranty, but my question is: has anyone ever been able to use it??

I have heard so many stories about people having issues with these companies trying to get them to pay for things that are supposed to be covered and can not.

:matchup:

unklekraker 10-14-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
I also bought an extended warranty, but my question is: has anyone ever been able to use it??

I have heard so many stories about people having issues with these companies trying to get them to pay for things that are supposed to be covered and can not.

:matchup:

I Recently Bought A 99' Boxster W/ 44k Mi. About 2 Months Ago For $21k And Bought Extended Warranty 4yrs/48k For $2300. Just Last Month I Took My Car For 45k Service And Thay Found 4 Things (worn Cam Shaft Gasket/cover, Airbag Module Chip, Worn Passenger Side Seatbelt & Coolant Reservoir Tank Leaking) The Cost Of Total Repair Is $2100, Warranty Pays $1800, Out Of Pocket Cost $300 (includes Clear Side Marker). That's Not Including The 45k Service Cost ($450)

The best part about it is, I get to drive a brand spanking new 07' Audi S3 2.0 Turbo for a week for free :dance:

ozarkarts 10-19-2006 08:01 PM

I also just bought a 2002 Boxster S a few weeks ago with just under 20,000-miles on it. The car is like new inside and out, but I decided after a LONG investigation of different extended warranty companies to go with Warranty Direct. They treated me as if I was still under the original Porsche warranty, so I did not have to go through the hassle of taking the car in to a mechanic they specified for a 'baseline check'.

My warranty is a 4-year 'bumper-to-bumper' (or 60,000-miles on the odometer) with the emissions option and cost me about $2,300.

yfz/700R 10-19-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
I Recently Bought A 99' Boxster W/ 44k Mi. About 2 Months Ago For $21k And Bought Extended Warranty 4yrs/48k For $2300. Just Last Month I Took My Car For 45k Service And Thay Found 4 Things (worn Cam Shaft Gasket/cover, Airbag Module Chip, Worn Passenger Side Seatbelt & Coolant Reservoir Tank Leaking) The Cost Of Total Repair Is $2100, Warranty Pays $1800, Out Of Pocket Cost $300 (includes Clear Side Marker). That's Not Including The 45k Service Cost ($450)

The best part about it is, I get to drive a brand spanking new 07' Audi S3 2.0 Turbo for a week for free :dance:

i have been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty also but most of small print indicates they dont cover gaskets and seals unless its for replacing a failed or defective part, another thing that bothers me is they usually dont cover an engine unless it fails due to an internally lubricated part, wich warranty did you get that covered your gaskets and seals?

unklekraker 10-19-2006 11:11 PM

the company called "Total Shield". It was offered to me by the dealer where I bought my Boxster :cheers: and my 2nd toy this afternoon...If you want their number let me know....

Quote:

Originally Posted by yfz/700R
i have been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty also but most of small print indicates they dont cover gaskets and seals unless its for replacing a failed or defective part, another thing that bothers me is they usually dont cover an engine unless it fails due to an internally lubricated part, wich warranty did you get that covered your gaskets and seals?

yfz/700R 10-20-2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
the company called "Total Shield". It was offered to me by the dealer where I bought my Boxster :cheers: and my 2nd toy this afternoon...If you want their number let me know....

yes, that would be great :dance: , wich option did you get to cover the seals & gaskets?

unklekraker 10-20-2006 06:09 AM

PM on it's way....
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfz/700R
yes, that would be great :dance: , wich option did you get to cover the seals & gaskets?