Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Diagnostic tool .. 03 boxster S

Doing some investigation into a diagnostic tool.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

Durametric. Well established best option for these cars.
Or if you want a cheap option, basically any OBD2 tool, especially the bluetooth kind. I have BlueDriver and I think it's great.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Input from another newbe who just faced the same decision..

I went with a Foxwell NT 530 with porsche software.

I can read all the systems and codes and reset codes in many of them (DME and airbag for sure) although it could not clear the alarm codes that were hanging around. To my knowledge it cannot write anything though (you can't say turn on the on-board computer option or change the way the marker lights work.

It is a good deal less money and i like that it is an actual scan tool I can see all the live data on my car with it running without needing a laptop. It lets you select which datapoints you are interested in and can track / save data.

For me the deal breaker for Durametric was the windows requirement. I use mac and linux and do not want to have to create a virtual machine and spend time configuring computers just to run 1 piece of software. That said i might get it in the future, will see. Either way I like having the actual scantool that works well with the porsche computer and data, I have a feeling that even if it get the Durametric one day to make changes (like add the on-board computer option) I will still use the foxwell for just about everything else.

Brian
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 for the Durametric. Being able to turn individual things on an off is very helpful. I used a generic OBDII for years. The Durametric is light years better. If you you are a serious DIY and plan to keep the car for a long time, I think it is money well spent.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote