986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New boxster s owner (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76269-new-boxster-s-owner.html)

ALEX SOL 09-24-2019 04:11 PM

New boxster s owner

At long last I am an owner of a 986 S. Silver with black top and red leather interior...

bought with 60,000 miles and enjoyed last couple of months.

put it on the road, pulled the old stereo and soft top (never tried this before and thanks to you tube!!)

found a marine guy to replace the broken plastic and enjoying ever since

some weird stuff happening (like car takes ten cranks to start after fuel up) and my buddy who sold me the car gave me oem rims that were so warped, the local wheel guy couldn't fix em... so running snows off my 911 in front and stock rears... will send over some pics...

piper6909 09-24-2019 04:25 PM

Welcome, Alex! What year?

Boo 09-24-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX SOL (Post 603809)
At long last I am an owner of a 986 S. Silver with black top and red leather interior...

bought with 60,000 miles and enjoyed last couple of months.

put it on the road, pulled the old stereo and soft top (never tried this before and thanks to you tube!!)

found a marine guy to replace the broken plastic and enjoying ever since

some weird stuff happening (like car takes ten cranks to start after fuel up) and my buddy who sold me the car gave me oem rims that were so warped, the local wheel guy couldn't fix em... so running snows off my 911 in front and stock rears... will send over some pics...

That is great! Welcome. I have a 2002 S and really enjoy it too. Did you say you had a marine guy replace your plastic rear window? It was cracked/broken? I'd love to hear more about that process and cost! The 6 speed manual transmission or auto on your car?

ALEX SOL 09-25-2019 10:04 AM

2000 and I'll send over pics of how i re did the plastic window...

ALEX SOL 09-25-2019 12:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few shots.. mixed a set of roh 17 x 7 with snow tires on the front... temporary only...

ALEX SOL 09-25-2019 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's the busted window... duct tape a little distracting when driving with roof up...

ALEX SOL 09-25-2019 12:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
lots of tutorials on youtube how to remove and replace

had a challenge with the two sided tape not quite sticking and broken plastic channel that holds the rear spline down across the roof so left it off - understand that new replacement roofs don't use that 'rear' spline vs only using the front spline if that makes sense.

marine guy sewed the rear window double stitching.. cut off of the original and thus keep the shape almost perfect. was a little tight the first few times to close the roof and need a little tug.. now working fine and waterproof... cost $100 local dollars (Canadian) and got quotes of $250-700 just to cut and re stitch the rear window with me supplying the roof in hand (no removal or install time or cost)