986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   whats the first mods? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76238-whats-first-mods.html)

M9G 09-19-2019 07:27 AM

whats the first mods?

Having owned my boxster for all of 4 days its time to start thinking about modding

Apart from the change the headlights mod which I will do once ive plucked up courage to rob a bank what mods are there out there that can be done quick, easy and free or relatively cheap.

Must be some good ones out there :-)

Cheers

PaulE 09-19-2019 09:23 AM

Welcome, the possibilities are pretty much endless. Would only suggest you make sure all the basic maintenance and repairs are up to date and everything is in good shape before going down the upgrade path. That way you know where you stand and don’t blow your budget on upgrades and find out you need new trailing arms or a water pump, etc.

M9G 09-19-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 603461)
Welcome, the possibilities are pretty much endless. Would only suggest you make sure all the basic maintenance and repairs are up to date and everything is in good shape before going down the upgrade path. That way you know where you stand and don’t blow your budget on upgrades and find out you need new trailing arms or a water pump, etc.

Sound advice :-)

Steelepuls 09-19-2019 01:02 PM

Welcome to the forum, first I would desnorkel the intake (if it hasn't been done yet), makes the motor sound throaty on wide open throttle acceleration. Second, if your thinking about changing the headlights, swap the oem bulbs with LED's from ebay. I used H7's that significantly improved the stock halogen bulbs brightness. At least until you muster up the courage to rob a bank to provide the funds for the HID's option. LOL.
Aftermarket head unit and rear speakers made a big difference in the sound.

particlewave 09-19-2019 01:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M9G (Post 603471)
Sound advice :-)

Boring advice :p

Internal muffler bypass, HID headlights (not Litronics as they are overpriced old tech with inferior build), possibly different tail lights and side markers, stereo, cover interior bits in leather...

Finnegan 09-19-2019 01:41 PM

Comfort Top module is a nice mod, and not too expensive.

rick3000 09-19-2019 01:46 PM

My all time favorite is the SkyBreaker windscreen, but you can't get them anymore. Other top ones would be: deamber, red calipers, rear speakers and the OBC mod.

edc 09-19-2019 01:49 PM

Free is to widen the top mount slot to allow you some extra negative camber.

WillH 09-19-2019 01:57 PM

Gt3 center console delete. Opens up the cockpit for more legroom.

Clutch pedal helper spring mod. Actually feel the clutch bite point.

Quick shift kit.

mgfranz 09-19-2019 03:31 PM

Short shifter, best mod yet.

Ciao 09-19-2019 05:07 PM

K&N filter makes throatier sound than factory filter; fairly and you can keep for a million miles.

thstone 09-19-2019 06:54 PM

New high performance sticky tires will transform the handling from grocery getter to canyon carver.

And that's why you bought the car, right? Drive it like you stole it.

Geof3 09-19-2019 09:26 PM

987 shifter and motor mount unless you know they have been done. Then, open your wallet... have fun, go drive.

M9G 09-19-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelepuls (Post 603477)
Welcome to the forum, first I would desnorkel the intake (if it hasn't been done yet), makes the motor sound throaty on wide open throttle acceleration. Second, if your thinking about changing the headlights, swap the oem bulbs with LED's from ebay. I used H7's that significantly improved the stock halogen bulbs brightness. At least until you muster up the courage to rob a bank to provide the funds for the HID's option. LOL.
Aftermarket head unit and rear speakers made a big difference in the sound.

Thanks, I've seen the desnorkal on utube and will be my first mod later

Thanks also to the rest of you for your suggestions, I will be trying a few of these.
Cheers

itsnotanova 09-20-2019 03:08 AM

Removing unnecessary weight is free. I got my street boxster down to 2750lbs and my rallycross boxster to 2100.

obthomas 09-20-2019 03:34 AM

Remove cigarette lighter and replace with no-smoking plug:dance: