Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Key RFID and key bypass

I have only one key for an 01 S. I am afraid of losing the “key” so I have copied the blade to make a spare and in order that both work have attached the RFID from the first key to the ignition cylinder. I am comfortable with this solution.

I would like to install a remote start system. Currently the installation works only when the key blade is in the ignition cylinder and in the ACC position. After much research I believe that the ignition cylinder transponder antenna may be similar to a BMW, in which the ignition wires are hot when they key is in either ACC and crank? In other words, I think that they transponder antenna is not reading the connected RFID because it is not getting power except when the key blade is in the car in ACC.

If that is the case, then I can envision two possible solutions:

First and easiest would be to wire a relay to the transponder ?antenna? in the key ring. But I am a bit reluctant to cut that wire without confirming a previous bypass install, for fear of somehow screwing up the immobilizer requiring a reprogram of the CLU. Has anybody had a remote starter installed and if so how did they wire the key bypass?

The alternative would be to use a key bypass (I have a 556UW lying around). This solution leaves the exact same question: how to do the bypass install wiring. Additionally, I would need to copy the RFID in order to have the ability to start the car without the remote starter (since I would lose a key to the 556UW bypass). Does anybody know of a place doing RFID cloning?

I imagine quite a few folks must have had a remote starter installed. Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Last edited by clueless1; 09-05-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Corrections
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:31 AM   #2

Not really. Most of us have manual transmissions and park in garages.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Remote starters can be installed in manuals and many of us are not blessed with the opportunity to live in Texas. Or even in the USA.

This topic has come up repeatedly in the past, but nobody has ever followed with details as to how they solved the issue. It’s a pretty straightforward question ... how to install a key bypass in a 986/996.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless1 View Post
This topic has come up repeatedly in the past, but nobody has ever followed with details as to how they solved the issue. It’s a pretty straightforward question ... how to install a key bypass in a 986/996.
There's a reason for that: It is also teaching someone how to steal the car.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #5

Garage
I seem to remember a detailed thread on how to use parts from another car grafted into the Boxster electronics to get the desired results. Since it didn't interest me particularly I immediately forgot all the details but a bit of searching might find it. I could be on the Rennlist Boxster forum also.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
There's a reason for that: It is also teaching someone how to steal the car.
I am sorry, but that is a ridiculous and untrue statement. Learning proper wiring for a remote starter key bypass system does NOT equal teaching somebody to steal a car. A key bypass does not operate without a key (and properly coded RFID).

Last edited by clueless1; 09-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #7

Quote:
I am sorry, but that is a ridiculous and untrue statement. Learning proper wiring for a remote starter key bypass system does NOT equal teaching somebody to steal a car. A key bypass does not operate without a key (and properly coded RFID).
It is both TRUE, and correct. In order to steal the car, you need to bypass the immobilizer, EXACTLY what you are asking...............
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Um wrong sorry try again.

A remote starter is NOT trying to bypass the immobilizer. It requires a key.

You obviously do not understand what a key bypass for a remote starter is: In order to start the car WITH a dealer programmed key you need to “bypass” the immobilizer by your definition. There is literally no difference Using a properly programmed RFID to start the car via the immobilizer does not facilitate its theft. There is an entire industry of legitimate companies built upon manufacturing remote start devices.

Once again, determining the proper wiring for such a remote starter does NOT facilitate its theft. It would not and can not operate without a programmed key.

You are attempting to hijack this thread with inaccurate hysteria.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why do you suppose that there are no threads showing a completed remote start install?

No offense, but JFP knows his stuff. Cool down a bit
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

JFP and Particlewave are right.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
JFP and Particlewave are right.
Please explain to me how a information regarding how to correctly wire a remote starter facilitates theft.

Sorry, JFP, particlewave and you are all wrong. It strikes me that none of you understand the way these things work. Once again, let me repeat: a programmed key is required. Does starting a car with your key facilitate theft? These comments are a bit bizarre.

If you thing that is wrong, once again, please explain how. Is compustar facilitating vehicle theft?????
Old 09-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

I think I understand where Clueless is coming from; I've owned a number of vehicles with both factory & aftermarket remote-starters. They are "secure" from theft in the sense that they still require a key. In every instance, the key must be inserted and turned while your foot is on the brake or the engine dies. (Not to mention the steering wheel must be unlocked).

However, from the perspective of a guy who has installed half-a-dozen of these remote-starters myself, JFP makes the correct statement that this is IN POINT OF FACT bypassing the anti-theft device that Porsche put in place. Wiring it so that it still requires a key is simply the option you'd take as the installer. Once it's by-passed, it's bypassed, until you wire it in such a fashion that it requires another device or mechanism to keep it bypassed.

So yes: drawing-up a schematic that would bypass the immobilizer for a remote-start DOES, in fact, teach us how to steal cars, despite the fact that a thief would still need to do the easy-part of circumventing the steering-lock.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

I though Clueless wanted to stand in his living room and start his car out in the driveway with his key fob. I got a buddy can do that remote start thing with his truck.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I though Clueless wanted to stand in his living room and start his car out in the driveway with his key fob. I got a buddy can do that remote start thing with his truck.
uh.... yeeeesss...... ? That's indeed what we're talking about.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

However, from the perspective of a guy who has installed half-a-dozen of these remote-starters myself, JFP makes the correct statement that this is IN POINT OF FACT bypassing the anti-theft device that Porsche put in place. Wiring it so that it still requires a key is simply the option you'd take as the installer.

So yes: drawing-up a schematic that would bypass the immobilizer for a remote-start DOES, in fact, teach us how to steal cars, despite the fact that a thief would still need to do the easy-part of circumventing the steering-lock.
Both of these paragraphs are close but not quite correct.

The key bypass REQUIRES A KEY.

Second, it is NOT drawing up a schematic to bypass the immobilizer. That is NOT what I am requesting and the whole idea is a bit ridiculous. The key bypass uses a key and RFID. Just like when you start your car with a key normally. It USES the factory immobilizer (like a normal crank with key). Asking how to wire the car properly ... is how the factory transponder ring is wired in NO WAY facilitates theft. Wiring it so it still requires a key is not an option. It is always required. It’s how a key bypass works (at least in this Porsche ... some other cars, including the cayenne, can do so through firmware. But even that does NOT bypass the immobilizer).

Once again, these comments suggesting that I am looking for how to wire around the immobilizer are simply not accurate. They belie a fundamental misunderstanding of how a DEI 556U module operates. And getting proper instructions for how to install and wire a 556u would not facilitate theft any more than getting instructions for how to wire up a car audio system.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #16
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Both of these paragraphs are close but not quite correct.

The key bypass REQUIRES A KEY.
I'd point-out that you came here ASKING us.... and now you're TELLING us.

here's a direct cut-n-paste from the 556U description: " The 556U bypasses the immobilizer system only while the remote start is in use, maintaining the factory system’s integrity. "

This is where you nod your head and say "see? I told you so!"

And then that's where I say "wait... read that first part again..."

"The 556U bypasses the immobilizer system...."

And then I explain to you that DEi has chosen to provide a product that takes-away from you, the installer, the ability to forgo the immobilizer altogether. But that's not to say that it can't be modified (I've never dicked-around with one. Never needed to)

So you're sorta missing the point we're making, which is that once that unit is bypassed, all bets are off.

Again: You came here ASKING. 'sall I know.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You apparently (think) you know what you’re talking about, so do it.

What are you asking us for? Get it done!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You apparently (think) you know what you’re talking about, so do it.

What are you asking us for? Get it done!
Please see the first post in this thread prior to hijack
Old 09-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #19

Garage
Let me try to post this without being hit by the ******************** storm that has irrupted.
Here is the thread I was referring to above.
My solution for keyless entry - 2001 Boxster
Good luck...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Let me try to post this without being hit by the ******************** storm that has irrupted.
Here is the thread I was referring to above.
My solution for keyless entry - 2001 Boxster
Good luck...
Keyless entry and remote start are not the same thing.