986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Durametric Questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75975-durametric-questions.html)

rexcramer 08-15-2019 04:57 PM

Durametric Questions

I finally opened up the piggy bank for a good used laptop (PC Liquidators in Florida) and a Durametric cable. This makes trouble shooting so much easier. Still a lot to learn and figure out.

1. Durametric sells an OEM 50' extension cable for $59. Has anybody just used a USB cable extension instead? I have several of those in my computer drawer. Somewhat gun shy to just try it without asking.

2. Data base for values. While you can search by P-codes in the forum's archives for values. It would be nice to have a 'sticky' with groupings of values, i.e. cam deviations, O2 sensors, MAF readings, etc. Does that exist already and I just can't find it?

3. CA smog/registration was due and I had the generic P0102 MAF CEL I had to remedy. Couldn't find a vacuum leak or anything else wrong. With the Durametric, I also found P1720 (Tip Trans module) 'load signal.' I had not seen that prior with my generic OBD tool. I reset both and charged up the local canyon. Checked it again and everything was set and ready for the smog check. Passed easily, cleansing breath and all is right with the world. +/- 200 miles and it hasn't returned. I can't find much on the P1720. Does anybody have any insight what was going on? How are they connected?

4. 'Work Session Log' Can they only be read through the OEM program or can they be exported as a CSV file, etc.? I am looking to capture screen shots or a log history so I can create my own database of 'normal' values.

Thanks in advance, safe travels.

mikesz 08-16-2019 02:22 AM

The Durametric plugs into the ODBC port so any USB cord will not work. Also, the enthusiast version is good for 3 cars only once you have used it on 3 cars that's it. Will only work on those 3 cars you will need to buy another license.

tommy583 08-16-2019 03:52 AM

The other end plugs into a USB port so maybe it would work.

pomerlo 08-16-2019 07:27 AM

I have used an extension of about 15-20 feet if I remeber correctly. So one end of the cable is a usb female socket and the other end is a male connector. Worked perfectly.

About Durametric licensing.... there is a bug with some cables and the limit of 3 cars is never seen by the cable... Mine is like that. There is a way in durametric software to see how many cars the cable has seen so far. Mine always display 1.

rexcramer 08-16-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesz (Post 601044)
The Durametric plugs into the ODBC port so any USB cord will not work. Also, the enthusiast version is good for 3 cars only once you have used it on 3 cars that's it. Will only work on those 3 cars you will need to buy another license.

I understand how the standard cable is OBDII to USB. I want to plug a USB male-USB female extension cable in between the Durametric cable and the laptop so I can set my laptop on a cart/table/etc.

rexcramer 08-16-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomerlo (Post 601060)
I have used an extension of about 15-20 feet if I remeber correctly. So one end of the cable is a usb female socket and the other end is a male connector. Worked perfectly.

About Durametric licensing.... there is a bug with some cables and the limit of 3 cars is never seen by the cable... Mine is like that. There is a way in durametric software to see how many cars the cable has seen so far. Mine always display 1.

Great. This is exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks. Only have the one car so the 3 limit isn't an issue yet. I am not sure how to check cable registrations. Still a lot to learn.

pomerlo 08-16-2019 10:10 AM

From Durametric web site FAQ section:

Question: How do I check the VINs stored by the tool?
Answer: Connect the tool to the computer, open the program, and go to Tools | Tool Information.

rexcramer 08-16-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomerlo (Post 601076)
From Durametric web site FAQ section:

Question: How do I check the VINs stored by the tool?
Answer: Connect the tool to the computer, open the program, and go to Tools | Tool Information.

Perfect, thanks.

DMags 08-16-2019 04:06 PM

I just bought the cheap 12$ tool from eBay and it works on unlimited Porsches and functions perfectly.

jdavis8361 08-17-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMags (Post 601098)
I just bought the cheap 12$ tool from eBay and it works on unlimited Porsches and functions perfectly.

Care to share the link?

rexcramer 08-17-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

I have a +/-$50 generic OBDII tester in the tool box also. Works great on all of our vehicles. It can read and clear most trouble codes.

Where the Durametric shines above, is in the separate modules. You can trigger basically the whole car on and off with a click of the mouse. Lights, fans, relays, reset the airbag, etc. It really is very special in that regard.

JayG 08-17-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

a generic OND reader will give you generqal codes, it won't give you Porsche specific codes. The Durametric does a lot more

rick3000 08-18-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

I know that people want to save money, but the people that develop the Durametric software are not a big company. I would hope that most Porsche owners would support them by buying the real cable if they are going to use the Durametric software. You can save some money by calling and asking if they have any refurbished cables available.

pomerlo 08-18-2019 08:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know... the Durametric software wont work if it is not a Durametric cable?

piper6909 08-18-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomerlo (Post 601181)
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know... the Durametric software wont work if it is not a Durametric cable?

Correct, but the OP wanted to know if a generic USB Extension cold be used.

JayG 08-18-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomerlo (Post 601060)

I have one of the "buggy" cables that does not count VINs

rexcramer 08-18-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 601186)
Correct, but the OP wanted to know if a generic USB Extension cold be used.

No, that was not my question. My OP question was, could I use a USB extension cable, inline/series with my GENUINE Duramteric cable, to make it longer. The standard cable is a little on the short side. I paid full price for the real thing.

POMERLO did answer my question and stated that he had used a USB cable in between to effectively lengthen it.

piper6909 08-18-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 601229)
No, that was not my question. My OP question was, could I use a USB extension cable, inline/series with my GENUINE Duramteric cable, to make it longer. The standard cable is a little on the short side. I paid full price for the real thing.

POMERLO did answer my question and stated that he had used a USB cable in between to effectively lengthen it.

Rex, that's exactly why I said "USB Extension". Why else would you need an EXTENSION?

rexcramer 08-20-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 601236)
Rex, that's exactly why I said "USB Extension". Why else would you need an EXTENSION?

My apologies to you sir. I mis-understood your response on the first read. Thank-you for taking the time. Safe travels.

piper6909 08-21-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 601395)
My apologies to you sir. I mis-understood your response on the first read. Thank-you for taking the time. Safe travels.

Thanks, Rex. No apology was necessary. I've misread posts many times. Best wishes. :cheers: