Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Coolant leak on 2004 - 986 S

Hi Guys, today unfortunately i got the dreaded coolant leak from under the engine close to the rear right tire:

My work is cut out tomorrow as i have to tow it to the mechanic and see what is going on, i am hoping it is not the water pump or head gasket, it has only 75K
and not tracked so crossing my fingers.

I apologize for the big pics, new to this stuff.

K911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why is it dreaded?
That’s where the coolant overflow is and it’s not unusual for it to lose some on hot days.

Check under the trunk liner for coolant to rule out a cracked tank, but unless it’s pouring out or leaking with a cold engine, it may be nothing.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Is it possible that it just overheated a bit? Is there any fluid left in the reservoir? Pull the carpet up in the trunk and look for moisture. The tanks tend to crack. That location looks to be right under the spill tube. Perhaps it had some air in it that needed out? Look at your fluid cap. The latest rev level ends in .04. Update as needed. Did the temp gauge get much over 180 and or the light start flashing? Lots of questions before I would tow it away IMHO. Lots of combined experience here to help.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

Thanks i do appreciate the experience and advice, i will check before sending off, there is still coolant in the reservoir, did not over heat. stoped leaking after engine cooled down,Is the color of the coolant normal?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Depends on what's in it and how old it is. 2 types OAT and NOAT. You can't mix them or you end up with a gelatinous mess and serious heating issues. If you don't know for sure, flush it several times and start fresh. Colors range from orange, green, yellow, pink. OEM stuff is pricey, but some swear by it.

Search the data base for coolants. Youtube is a great resource also for DIY.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Really? You're going to piss away tow money because your car is doing exactly what it's designed to do?

Dude, or Maam, check those things the other posters have suggested then, if their recommendations aren't aligning with, um, your sensibilities... have it towed.

Heaven forbid your car throws a low brake fluid warning.

Same thing happened to me one month into ownership of my 986 and, fortunately, just as I pulled into my driveway after a return trip from Vegas. Turned out to be the coolant reservoir cap. ~$20 and... done. How did I know to first check the cap (and that the leak was "normal"?)...

Do some reading.

Disclaimer: It's not 6A.

Last edited by Starter986; 08-12-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Slow coolant leak

I do appreciate all the advice even the harsh ones, it was the water pump so at 75K and 15 years life it was bound to go out.

Cheers.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #8

My 98 with 87,000 miles leaked the same thing last week....$1,300 later I have a new water pump and fresh coolant. "Stuff" happens.....and NO, I'm not a DYI guy so I paid my "indi" mechanic.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K911 View Post
I do appreciate all the advice even the harsh ones, it was the water pump so at 75K and 15 years life it was bound to go out.

Cheers.
sometimes we get a little overexcited...but always glad to hear when things work out. :+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
MarkT

Garage
Thanks for this thread!

My wife and I just arrived at a festival got out of the car parked on a hill and I noticed a small drip of coolant run out near of the right rear of the car near the tire. Checked the coolant tank and it was full the temp gauge was fine and the drip stopped... So we went to the festival (I worried the entire time if all my coolant was going to be on the ground and I would have to call a tow truck) but everything was fine when we got back and we drove to the store then home. No drips when I got here and the tank is still full.
Based on this thread I am guessing I over filled the car when I changed my water pump a few weeks ago and it was a very hot day so some came out the drain. Please let me know if I am missing something!

Cheers and thanks for all the great info!
Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #11

A new twist on coolant loss

Since we all “like” a mystery — was getting coolant puddle in front of right rear tire and ended up replacing the water pump. All seemed well for a few days but then progressively started smelling hot coolant more and more. Also the level went down to about an inch of the bottom of the reservoir when off overnight. I thought maybe an air bubble at first as it purged but then did it again. Lost close to about .5 gal of coolant with not a dip on the floor. Checked under carpet in trunk and there’s a little like .3 cup of fluid on bottom. Thought maybe overfilled or dreaded cracked res. Noticed about 2 drops near top on side of res. Checked oil cap and No white. Ok hears where I’m rightly ready to be ridiculed. I was in a hurry while testing the coolant leak and bought a resevior cap for 8 bucks at Oreilly’s. I had home made a pump to pressurize the res before so maybe should give it another go? Not sure why but engine seems rougher running than norm. All help and barbs welcomed. Thx. Craig
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Since we all “like” a mystery — was getting coolant puddle in front of right rear tire and ended up replacing the water pump. All seemed well for a few days but then progressively started smelling hot coolant more and more. Also the level went down to about an inch of the bottom of the reservoir when off overnight. I thought maybe an air bubble at first as it purged but then did it again. Lost close to about .5 gal of coolant with not a dip on the floor. Checked under carpet in trunk and there’s a little like .3 cup of fluid on bottom. Thought maybe overfilled or dreaded cracked res. Noticed about 2 drops near top on side of res. Checked oil cap and No white. Ok hears where I’m rightly ready to be ridiculed. I was in a hurry while testing the coolant leak and bought a resevior cap for 8 bucks at Oreilly’s. I had home made a pump to pressurize the res before so maybe should give it another go? Not sure why but engine seems rougher running than norm. All help and barbs welcomed. Thx. Craig
Well simplest things first:
1.Get a proper Porsche tank cap so you have the proper pressure rating.
2. Harbor freight sells a coolant system pressure tester for not to much money. to test the system.
Or have the system pressure tested to see if you have leak at the coolant tank.
3. After the above if coolant level still changes you could possibly have air in the system.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #13

After I replaced the water pump....two weeks later the coolant tank in the trunk began leaking. But in my case it was a very slow leak the never got the carpet in the trunk wet BUT when I pulled out the trunk liner and lifted the raised floor boards in the trunk there was a nice big puddle sloshing around in my trunk......a new coolant tank solved the problem. Between the water pump and the coolant tank I spent $2,000 to have my "indy" replace both. Check your trunk, especially if you smell coolant while sitting in the car.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote