986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Now THAT’s a smoke bomb! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75849-now-%92s-smoke-bomb.html)

NewArt 07-26-2019 06:10 AM

Now THAT’s a smoke bomb!

Just back from my first track day since I blew up my engine last September. New motor ran well with a couple of incidents. I am using the MantisSport deep sump and I had slightly overfilled the oil. On my second session, I was starting to push it (new motor and all). Suddenly boom, I look in the mirror and see nothing but smoke. I pulled off the track thinking «oh darn», I’ve blown another engine! However, it was still running with no apparent problems so I signalled the flagger to go back on track. Then I saw the red flags were out so I immediately pulled back off the track thinking, oh no, there’s been a crash! So the ambulance comes by me then stops, backs up and stops beside me! They get out, fire extinguishers in hand and want me to open the hood! :eek: Sorry to have caused so much consternation guys, but I’m not on fire!
Next session went fine after removing a good half litre of oil. Running oil at the half way mark seems to be the key. Wish that motorsport AOS wasn’t so damned expensive! :rolleyes:

The Radium King 07-26-2019 06:38 AM

check out the 996 forum on rennlist - a couple of interesting threads on the aos and alternatives (ie, venting the aos to the air box).

steved0x 07-26-2019 11:54 AM

I accidentally overfilled my oil before my first track day and blew a huge smoke bomb just like that :cheers:

I dropped the oil filter to remove a little oil, and since then have filled halfway (with my LN Deep sump I put in 10 liters of oil that takes me right up to halfway). Toward the end I experimented with running it a little fuller but discovered that it pretty quickly goes back to half due to oil ingenstion through the AOS (presumably) and that half seems to be the sweet spot.

Still on the same AOS nearly 100 track days later :)

NewArt 07-26-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 599989)
I accidentally overfilled my oil before my first track day and blew a huge smoke bomb just like that :cheers:

I dropped the oil filter to remove a little oil, and since then have filled halfway (with my LN Deep sump I put in 10 liters of oil that takes me right up to halfway). Toward the end I experimented with running it a little fuller but discovered that it pretty quickly goes back to half due to oil ingenstion through the AOS (presumably) and that half seems to be the sweet spot.

Still on the same AOS nearly 100 track days later :)

Actually, it may have been you that put me on to that half way solution. I have no idea why I moved away from that this past event. :o

Racer Boy 07-26-2019 02:43 PM

Before I figured out why my car was producing huge smoke bombs (it turned out to be passenger side scavenging pump was incorrectly indexed), I went to a track day at Pacific Raceways near Seattle and didn't even get through the first lap before they red-flagged the session. They thought I had blown the engine and oiled down the track.

Embarrassing to say the least.