986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   1999 Boxster Tires - Recommendations? HELP (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75822-1999-boxster-tires-recommendations-help.html)

AP328 08-05-2019 02:21 PM

Thank you for letting me know about their availability in Germany! I will contact Michelin in Canada and ask about them. Just as a point of note, I am looking for Pilot Sport 4S, not 4. I am still going to speak to Michelin on Tuesday.

bcrdukes 08-05-2019 08:01 PM

AP328 - Let me know what Michelin Canada tells you. I'd be interested in a set as well.

mgfranz 08-06-2019 07:55 PM

PSS wear rating is horrible, I got less than 15k out of my last set, currently I run a set of Falken Zeix ZE950 and I like them for the street. On my Audi I run the Conti AWS ExtremeContact and I love them for an everyday tire. If you are putting that few miles on your car every year, do you need to spend $1000 or more for a set of tires? Tires that are older than 7 years are dangerous, if you don't drive them, they will fail.

AP328 08-08-2019 10:52 AM

I ended up purchasing the Continental ExtremeContact Sport as I wanted the stock size, the reviews were good, Tire Rack recommended them over my other choice and the original tires were the previous iteration of these new Continentals. If the Michelin PS 4S was available in the sizes I needed, I would have bought them, but they are not (confirmed with Michelin, only available in PS4 not PS 4S). The two remaining N spec tires have issues. The Pirelli has horrible cracking issues in cold weather and PS2 are very outdated tires and have been surpassed by a number of newer tires. I get the new tires installed in the next two or three weeks.

Boxstard 08-08-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP328 (Post 600599)
I ended up purchasing the Continental ExtremeContact Sport as I wanted the stock size, the reviews were good, Tire Rack recommended them over my other choice and the original tires were the previous iteration of these new Continentals. If the Michelin PS 4S was available in the sizes I needed, I would have bought them, but they are not (confirmed with Michelin, only available in PS4 not PS 4S). The two remaining N spec tires have issues. The Pirelli has horrible cracking issues in cold weather and PS2 are very outdated tires and have been surpassed by a number of newer tires. I get the new tires installed in the next two or three weeks.

Post your impression when you put some miles on them. Those weigh a few pounds lighter than Michelin As3+ if I recall, so I'm interest how they handle, as my new summer tires.

JayG 08-09-2019 05:56 AM

Go to Tire Rack's website and have a look at their testing and reviews.
I had a set of the HTR ZIII's a while back and did like them for street driving. Don't get much rain in San Diego, so can't say how they preform wet . Same with cold weather :)

If you are going to be driving in wet and cold (below 40 F) weather, look at all seasson tires

Fintro11 08-09-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 600470)
PSS wear rating is horrible, I got less than 15k out of my last set, currently I run a set of Falken Zeix ZE950 and I like them for the street. On my Audi I run the Conti AWS ExtremeContact and I love them for an everyday tire. If you are putting that few miles on your car every year, do you need to spend $1000 or more for a set of tires? Tires that are older than 7 years are dangerous, if you don't drive them, they will fail.

How was your alignment? I haven’t had a problem with super sports wearing down and I drive them hard.

mgfranz 08-10-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP328 (Post 600599)

I love these on my A4, great handling and low noise, and really good in the rain and wet. Not sure how they would do as a track day tire, but love them on the street.