Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Horn Issue - Airbag Screws

Hello Forum,

Trying to fix the horn-keeps-going-off issue by replacing the bushings on the airbag bracket, but I've been spending countless hours trying to get the airbag off. I know I've reached the screws with the proper torx size, but I keep trying to turn it [clockwise] but they won't budge!

Anyone have the same issue, and is there some way to remedy, fix, trick it into moving?

philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Lefty loosey, righty tighty
Turn CCW to loosen. Other than that, turn harder. If it’s never been removed, it may take some force.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Mine were ridiculously tight. I was sure something was gonna break. They eventually came off and nothing broke. IIRC I used a 12" breaker bar.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #4

They are installed with red locktite. You need more torque. A socket with a short extension will do the trick. But, it’s snug. Just wait till you put them back in... very, very easy to cross thread ...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:04 AM   #5

I fixed my horn from inadvertently sounding off by simply squeezing a few small pieces of black weather stripping foam between the horn plate's edges and the steering wheel. My "fix" has lasted for more than 10 years and is invisible. Easy!!

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote