Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

The hunt for the whining noise continues

So, I started a hunt to find the cause for the whing sound from the rear compartment.
I was thinking that a good start was to take look at the belt rollers. They did look quite tired when I spinned them.
Today I changed all three of them. No change in whining noice, but now at least I hve new rollers..

Thinking what will be next attemp.

Problem is:

Hearing a whining noise that sound like something rotating. Like a fan maybe.

- It is only possible to hear when driving.
- If I press inn the clutch, noise stops.
- The sound are higher when rev is higher.

Was thinking of something with the transmission, but since it follows the rev I'm confused.

Happy for all input tips

Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

All you're saying points to the transmission. If you don't have the clutch pressed in, the revs of the engine continue to the tranny. When you have the clutch pressed in, the tranny and engine are not connected. The fact the noise stops when you have the clutch pressed in, makes me think the tranny is your issue.

How many miles?
How's the tranny lube?
Have you checked the level or changed it?

I had a Dodge Raider that whined in every gear. It sounded like an old dump truck! It went that way for a looong time until it wouldn't go into 4th so I changed the tranny. The whining then stopped.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

Speed up until 40-50 mph then put in neutral and coast... Experiment by pressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Repeat but in 5 th gear without pressing the accelerator.

A failing air oil separator can also cause a hissing blowing noise. But this will follow the rpm directly.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
All you're saying points to the transmission. If you don't have the clutch pressed in, the revs of the engine continue to the tranny. When you have the clutch pressed in, the tranny and engine are not connected. The fact the noise stops when you have the clutch pressed in, makes me think the tranny is your issue.

How many miles?
How's the tranny lube?
Have you checked the level or changed it?

I had a Dodge Raider that whined in every gear. It sounded like an old dump truck! It went that way for a looong time until it wouldn't go into 4th so I changed the tranny. The whining then stopped.
I am also afraid that the transmission is the cause. The sound is more like fan, but still. Transmission is smooth to put in gears. Bought the car a month ago, so have not checked gear oil yet. Will put that on the list, and see if sound changes.
Car has 145000 km on the clock.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Nordvik View Post
So, I started a hunt to find the cause for the whing sound from the rear compartment.
I was thinking that a good start was to take look at the belt rollers. They did look quite tired when I spinned them.
Today I changed all three of them. No change in whining noice, but now at least I hve new rollers..

Thinking what will be next attemp.

Problem is:

Hearing a whining noise that sound like something rotating. Like a fan maybe.

- It is only possible to hear when driving.
- If I press inn the clutch, noise stops.
- The sound are higher when rev is higher.

Was thinking of something with the transmission, but since it follows the rev I'm confused.

Happy for all input tips
A bad or failing Alternator can sometimes make a whining noise. It would change with RPM. You my not hear it when you press the clutch in because as RPM drops noise level drops.
My only other thought would be your throw out bearing is going. But I think they make noise when the clutch is pressed which is opposite of what your experiencing.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
A bad or failing Alternator can sometimes make a whining noise. It would change with RPM. You my not hear it when you press the clutch in because as RPM drops noise level drops.
My only other thought would be your throw out bearing is going. But I think they make noise when the clutch is pressed which is opposite of what your experiencing.
Yes, the alternator bearing could make sense. The sound is for me more a roller sound. That is the reason that I started with the 3 rollers. Only thing is that it seems quiet when car i not moving. Can try to rev it in neutral and see.

Looked in service history, and could not see that gear oil has been changed.
So bought 3L and will change that as well.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #7

Garage
In case it helps, my AOS made a horrible sound that convinced me my throw out bearing was dying. Here are two videos with the sound:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DMVDV6igbvywzNhGA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QuN647ebXWVdqib96

When the enormous cloud of smoke appeared, I knew it was the AOS!! 😏

Good luck!
Boleador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:11 AM   #8

Does the whining occur with or without your significant other riding besides you? That could be the source!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Does the whining occur with or without your significant other riding besides you? That could be the source!
OMG thank you! 😂😂😂😂
Boleador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
HAHA! Good one!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #11

Garage
If the noise stops when you press on the clutch pedal it's probably the clutch Release Bearing.

Costs about $100. Labor about $800.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #12

Thanks for all suggestions.

Do not think it has something to do with the clutch. I can only hear the sound when I am drivning. Low rpm = lower whine.
Or can bad clutch relase make sound when driving and clutch not in use? Clutch was changed at Porsche last year I know. They should have checked the release then I think, but maybe not.

I am travelling for the moment. When I am home again, I will try again to see if I can hear it when I rev it in neutral. But I suspekt I will not.
My new gear oil has arrived at the post office. Will change oil as soon as possible and see what happens.

Regarding AOS, I would think this would make noise both in neutral and in gear?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:07 AM   #13

Have now changed oil in the transmission.

Did not do any change regarding the wining fan/roller type of noise. But nice to have fresh oil in the tranny, so not a waste of work.

Got a tips in this thread to rev the engine high in neutral to check if it maybe have the noise when standing still as well. I have to say that I might hear the sound in this situation as well.

So my next attemp will maybe be the alternator. I understand that I have two options, buy a new/restored one or change the clutch pulley. For the pulley I need special tools, so maybe it not so much more expencive to just exchange the alternator to a fresh one.

To be contiued..