Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

2000 Boxster with 3,000 miles?!

So I just took delivery on a 2000 Boxster S with 3,000 miles on it. The carfax checked out - one owner with mileage increasing by only 100-150 per year and periodic maintenance. Don’t think the IMS was done but I can’t tell if my car has the single or dual row bearing.

Are there particular things to worry about with such a low mileage specimen?

J

Jting01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Did they change the oil annually?
Do you have any specific areas of concern?

I would do a full service/inspection. There are probably a lot of parts that have't been replaced but are old or degrading. I would start with an oil change, brake flush, and new drive belt. Maybe check the spark plugs and the o-rings on the spark plug tubes. I would drive it for a while and see if you notice any issues before you start preventively replacing 19 years old parts that are almost new. Also take a look at the original break in oil procedure, I think it was every 3k until 15k miles.

Hopefully it did all that sitting in a garage, and was driven regularly but for short intervals versus sitting for long periods of time between being driven.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post

I would do a full service/inspection. There are probably a lot of parts that have't been replaced but are old or degrading. I would start with an oil change, brake flush, and new drive belt. Maybe check the spark plugs and the o-rings on the spark plug tubes. I would drive it for a while and see if you notice any issues before you start preventively replacing 19 years old parts that are almost new. Also take a look at the original break in oil procedure, I think it was every 3k until 15k miles.

Hopefully it did all that sitting in a garage, and was driven regularly but for short intervals versus sitting for long periods of time between being driven.
Looks like the oil was changed annually. All the service receipts are with the car. There are a surprising number of parts that were replaced because they were nonfunctional over the years.

I have no specific concerns except that the rear window is cloudy, and there’s a faint smell of burning rubber when the top is up.

Also, I’m thinking of sending it to Florida for a Spyder conversion.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #4

Just drive and and enjoy! Get to know your car and you'll figure out what needs to be done. Personally, I wouldn't go replacing anything other than maybe the coolant and brake fluid if you don't have evidence of being replaced.

All things noted above are certainly worth considering or at least keeping an eye on.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome and congrats. Please post a pic when you can. I would suggest that you be gentle with it for a bit and stay close-ish to home. I would also check the date code on your tires. They may be long in the tooth. X/O if they are between 6-10 years old regardless of mileage. Safe travels.

It never ceases to amaze me how/why people buy a nice car and not drive it. I am the 4th owner of mine. The first three owners put 16K on it in 18 years. I've put 19K in 3.5 years. And I feel guilty for not driving it more.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

who's gonna be the first to say it....?

"pics or it didn't happen"
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Super low miles would scare me because of the seals inside the cam adjusters. Those seals do not like to sit around and not get used. Keep an eye out for green rubber chunks in the oil filter. I'm not sure what to think about the IMS. In theory the grease should still be in there, but did the rubber seal on it dry up from inactivity? I would think the rest of the car would be in great condition though. That's if it's a manual. Automatics don't like to sit around either.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #8

The hard part is you have a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, you have a basically new 20 yr old car. On the other you have a good amount of 20 year old rubber parts that have seen no use basically in 20 years. Not the best thing for them. As mentioned though, drive it... listen to it, feel it. It will tell you what it needs... definitely look at the tires, and accessory belt. If old, they are a must do. Run a few tanks of good gas through, and see how it goes.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:58 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. Helpful info.

Any thoughts to what the smell of burning rubber is from??

It drives well so far, aside from the weak battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post

Old 06-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jting01 View Post
I have no specific concerns except that the rear window is cloudy
You may want to consider upgrading to a new top with a glass rear window and defroster.

BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster