Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #1

Cracked driver side window

Took the car out for a nice top down ride last night. After the top went up and I rolled the windows up, I heard a "grinding" sound from the drivers side. Rolled the window down and then back up, no sound. Investigate in the morning. Went out in the morning, and discovered a 6" crack heading from the top center, curving down towards the front of the car. Crack can only be felt from the inside (for now). Any thoughts on cause?

Are there any "oh-by-the-way" tips (lessons learned) for removing door panels that isn't covered anywhere?

Thanks

Fred in Florida

Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Hey Fred,
Weird how the door glass cracked like that. No special tricks on the door panel removal aside from care on pulling the mirror switch housing (rotate bottom out, then push up).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #3

Sorry that happened, but aren't Porsche windows tempered? On all cars that I know of, the side and rear windows wouldn't crack like that. they would shatter into hundreds of pieces.

Unless the "crack" you're describing is more like a scratch or an etching. I've had that happen when I accidentally rubbed my then-diamond-encrusted wedding band along the window. I now have a Tungsten Carbide ring :-).

Perhaps something was caught between the door frame and the window and as the window rolled up, it rubbed against it and got itself scratched?

Last edited by piper6909; 06-17-2019 at 05:37 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
T

Are there any "oh-by-the-way" tips (lessons learned) for removing door panels that isn't covered anywhere?
use the door card tools for removing the panels, plastic prybars. Buy a set, they are great for everything, especially the oval plug in the door and c-clip on the pull handle you need to remove to get to screws.
Also, disconnect battery BEFORE disconnecting the airbag, leave it off until you button up, otherwise the airbag light will be on and a dealer need to reset it.
Be VERY careful pulling back the membrane. Patience with the membrane and it eventually pulls off. First car someone else just tore it up, so expensive to replace, I didn't.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
send a picture of this, cant see how a window "cracks" its tempered glass.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
send a picture of this, cant see how a window "cracks" its tempered glass.
Not being the subject matter expert on all things Porsche, I turn to this forum for help and advise, not sarcasm.

With that said, after the first respondent said the glass can't crack, I took another look at the window and discovered the "crack" is a scratch. What I initially thought was a crack was the window tint gouged.

Thanks for the responses, it appears that there is an issue with the regulator. Another project to add to my never ending list. Somewhere along the line, I need to prioritize completing the rebuild of my 66 912 before that ends up on the permanent "back-burner".
Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks for the responses, it appears that there is an issue with the regulator. Another project to add to my never ending list. Somewhere along the line, I need to prioritize completing the rebuild of my 66 912 before that ends up on the permanent "back-burner".
Two things you said lead me to think it's not the regulator: That the scratch happened on the middle top of the window, and after you rolled the window down and up again, you didn't hear the grinding noise anyone.

There is no part of the regulator that I know of that touches the top middle of the window. And since you rolled the window down then up and didn't hear the noise again suggests to me that there was some foreign object lodged between the door seal and the glass. when you rolled up the window, the glass rubbed against it and got scratched. By rolling the window down, the object was also pushed down, and most likely fell inside to the bottom of your door. One-in-a-million shot, but that's the only thing I can think of that caused it. And the fact that it scratched the window tint, and not the glass itself means that the object didn't have to be as hard as a diamond, although I'm sure you wouldn't mind finding a diamond inside your door!

P.S. I didn't detect any sarcasm in Tony's comment. I think he wanted us to see a pic so we can determine what you have.

Last edited by piper6909; 06-18-2019 at 03:57 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
P.S. I didn't detect any sarcasm in Tony's comment. I think he wanted us to see a pic so we can determine what you have.
That. There was zero sarcasm. Zero. I too wanted to see a pic. Reasonable request.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Yeah man. Glad you turn here for help, it’s a great place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #10

Thanks for the responses. I'll post a picture tonight.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

Here is are two pictures of what I thought was a crack. Any thoughts of what could have caused it. The scratch is deep enough to catch a fingernail.
When I rolled the window up, i heard a grinding sound.

Last edited by flouese; 06-18-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: omitted one data point
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Will there be cake?

Garage
All I can say from what you described is something scraped your window in the door. A failing part or something foreign. Find out before you retint, yes?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Not being the subject matter expert on all things Porsche, I turn to this forum for help and advise, not sarcasm.

Hope that bug up your butt has crawled out. . .no sarcasm was noted by anyone else.

I wouldn't have that window retinted, I'd look for a good used one. Same year, probably, to try to minimize tint variations. With the door card off, the window is easy to replace, but I'd want to know what in the door scratched the window like that. And maybe while you're in there replace the regulator.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post

I wouldn't have that window retinted, I'd look for a good used one. Same year, probably, to try to minimize tint variations. With the door card off, the window is easy to replace, but I'd want to know what in the door scratched the window like that. And maybe while you're in there replace the regulator.
I agree with replacing with a used one.
And before I make a shameless plug for the '04 S that I'm parting out right now, I'd also point to both Woody and David, who are frequent posters here, and supporters of the community.
Oh, and im parting out an '04 S right now. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Hope that bug up your butt has crawled out. . .no sarcasm was noted by anyone else.

Where’s the love?
Emotion and intent is often lost in written word, all of us here should recognize that. If someone forgets or misunderstands, all forgiven. Always.

To that, enjoy the forum, expect the best of people and rely on the intentions most share on the forums.
Here to help, learn and socialize.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Where’s the love?
Emotion and intent is often lost in written word, all of us here should recognize that. If someone forgets or misunderstands, all forgiven. Always.

To that, enjoy the forum, expect the best of people and rely on the intentions most share on the forums.
Here to help, learn and socialize.

I like Tony.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #17
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Another WAG. So that doesn't look like a scratch to me. It looks like the window tint is wrinkled/failing? And there are some small bubbles on the bottom left end? I think the grinding noise might be a separate issue from a failing regulator?

Cause might be something stuck between the door rubber and the glass? Although raising/lowering the glass would/should make a vertical line, not curved.

Try peeling the tint off first and see what shape the glass is in underneath.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #18
Will there be cake?

Garage
Thanks boo!

Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Another WAG. So that doesn't look like a scratch to me. It looks like the window tint is wrinkled/failing? And there are some small bubbles on the bottom left end? I think the grinding noise might be a separate issue from a failing regulator?

Cause might be something stuck between the door rubber and the glass? Although raising/lowering the glass would/should make a vertical line, not curved.

Try peeling the tint off first and see what shape the glass is in underneath.
X2. Does your window drop when you open the door?