Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

Unhappy Loose Shifter Handle (question)

I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. I was in sixth gear going quite fast, however, when I shifted out of sixth gear and was slowing down, I realized that the east west axis had become completely limp and the gear handle flopped around. It still drives perfectly fine however the whole top row of gears has become only third gear including reverse and the bottom row has become only 4th gear. I can move all the way right to put it into what would normally be 5th gear but it still only goes to third and when I move all the way right or left to put it into 2nd or 6th it will move down but still only go into 4th and be completely loose in those positions.

I took of the stick cover and looked to see if anything looked broken and nothing did. What should I do? Any suggestions or does anyone know what would cause this?

jodemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #2

cable is broken somewhere
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Wouldn’t a cable only control north south, not east west of the gears?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodemerson View Post
Wouldn’t a cable only control north south, not east west of the gears?
No. There are 2 cables: one fore/aft and one side/side.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

So would your guess be that I would just need to replace the two shifter cables? Are those easily accessible from the center console and underneath?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You'll need to take a closer look, but a cable likely just popped off on the transmission side. It's fairly common.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

Yes, if u havent looked under the car (take off the aluminum shield for a better look), most likely just have to pop it back on
Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

Thank you all for your answers. Yes the cable popped out of the bearing attachment. However, when popped back in it just pops right back out when I go over to 5th and 6th. I will either weld it (the other north/south gear shifter had been welded in the same place) or try putting steal epoxy in the friction bearing connector. Will try the steal epoxy first and if it doesn’t work then the welding.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #9

wait, you want to weld/epoxy what?

I would not epoxy or weld anything. If its popping back out, something is broken. You'd do better to just replace the broken part than start welding
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Will there be cake?

Garage
along the same subject, my 2001 S 6 speed shifter is "notchy" meaning it is difficult to get into gear sometimes, especially reverse.
I drove a non-descript manual Japanese car recently, and the shifting was precise and smooth got me thinking again.
Mine hasnt gotten worse and I am pretty good at dropping it in, but wondered what I should be looking for to improve this, seems it should be smooth. I dont think it is the motor mount since it is the same sitting still, under load, driving gentle, spirited, etc. Does lubing up the linkage make a difference?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #11

It’s common for these shifters to wear out. The lower ball connectors get brittle and crack or break, they just get sloppy. Also, if you haven’t had your motor mount changed out, and it’s original, it’s shot. That can cause poor shifting as well.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodemerson View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Yes the cable popped out of the bearing attachment. However, when popped back in it just pops right back out when I go over to 5th and 6th. I will either weld it (the other north/south gear shifter had been welded in the same place) or try putting steal epoxy in the friction bearing connector. Will try the steal epoxy first and if it doesn’t work then the welding.
Just buy new cables. Save your self a ton of headache and don’t bandage together parts that are worn out... they aren’t that expensive, and they aren’t hard to replace.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken shifter , cable , shift , shift cable , transmission