Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

cranks but wouldn't start.

Last few days noticed my 03 Boxster S seemed just a little hard to start. Needed maybe one extra rotation to light off. Was suspecting a starter motor or clutch permissive switch. Was bracing for a complete failure so I would know what was failing.

Drove into the garage yesterday and parked. Later in the evening got my complete failure. Went to drive the car and it cranked but wouldn't start. After a short contemplation I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake after removing the air filter. The car started and ran briefly. I have a fuel issue. Checked the 25 amp fuel pump fuse and it was good. Row C number 4. Pulled the fuel pump relay and coil had 65 ohms and contacts made. put 12vdc on the coil and read the contacts as closed with my multimeter. Made a jumper and jumped the relay socket and no pump sound and no joy. pulled the battery and found the fuel level sending unit locking ring broken. Pulled the sending unit and pump. My Boxster is broken until I get the new fuel pump and locking ring I ordered. Should be back in business by the coming weekend. This website and you guys were a big help to me in getting this far today. Thanks.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Last few days noticed my 03 Boxster S seemed just a little hard to start. Needed maybe one extra rotation to light off. Was suspecting a starter motor or clutch permissive switch. Was bracing for a complete failure so I would know what was failing.

Drove into the garage yesterday and parked. Later in the evening got my complete failure. Went to drive the car and it cranked but wouldn't start. After a short contemplation I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake after removing the air filter. The car started and ran briefly. I have a fuel issue. Checked the 25 amp fuel pump fuse and it was good. Row C number 4. Pulled the fuel pump relay and coil had 65 ohms and contacts made. put 12vdc on the coil and read the contacts as closed with my multimeter. Made a jumper and jumped the relay socket and no pump sound and no joy. pulled the battery and found the fuel level sending unit locking ring broken. Pulled the sending unit and pump. My Boxster is broken until I get the new fuel pump and locking ring I ordered. Should be back in business by the coming weekend. This website and you guys were a big help to me in getting this far today. Thanks.
Awesome troubleshooting!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Fuel pump arrived and is installed. Runs great!:dance:
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Big dance. Make it run.
So...I drove the fast one tonight, went through some twisty turns better than 70 mph tonight, sliding a little. Max summer performance tires. Got to the restaurant and felt the rubber, hot to the touch. I love going into a turn where the car is almost sliding out of control.
My lady was annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote