986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Buying Advice - IMS (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75559-buying-advice-ims.html)

ukchris 06-15-2019 03:21 AM

Buying Advice - IMS

I'm looking to get a Boxster after a ten year hiatus and wanted to see if someone would help with IMS concerns. I am considering a 2006 Base Manual 5 Speed and a 2010 Base Tiptronic. From what I remember there should be no IMS worries with a 2010 but a 2006 is right around where things improved, is that so?

Waits a dealer listing (non Porsche) there's little knowledge of IMS so I want to factor in having it checked / replaced if it is still s concern on an 06.

I'd also be interested in Mahual/Tiptronic thoughts - my last Boxster was an 03 S Tiptronic and I have to say I loved it. I know the ourist view is often that a Porsche should be stick but the convenience of the Tip was great and it was a remarkable gearbox in so many ways. Is the common view that a Tip has a significant impact on cost/resale?

I'm buying for me - and maybe my partner so see this as a personal choice,I csnhappily drive stick but my better half cannot - that withstanding I still think I prefer the Tiptronic regardless of sharing.

husker boxster 06-15-2019 03:54 AM

An 06 has the Gen III IMS which is non-replaceable w/o tearing the engine completely apart but only has a 1% chance of failure. Oil change history is important as frequent changes seem to be the best link to longevity. Starting in 2009, Porsche eliminated the IMS, so a 2010 will not have IMS worries.

I'm a Wheeler Dealer and I've found a Tip will negatively affect the price by approx 5%. If you like a Tip, then buy one. I thought it was a good trans too and didn't deserve the flak it received. But facts are facts, it will not sell for the same price as an equal Porsche with a manual.

ukchris 06-15-2019 04:11 AM

Thank you on the IMS, much appreciated.

On the Tip I agree, buying used should help I think as it’ll have lost some of that impact. My bigger dilemma then becomes color, looking at a red 06 Manual and a Gray ‘10 Tip - when I think I want a Red Tip!

tonythetiger 06-15-2019 07:35 AM

My thoughts? Unless one is an s and the other base, always go for the s. The gray tip, 2010 is a good year and the tip is convenient. My black 6 speed is faster but my woman drives it too fast, I can’t trust her behind the wheel. The tip is great for us wheeling around and gray is a great color. Hers is seal gray and always gets comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

husker boxster 06-15-2019 02:51 PM

A 2010 will have the PDK trans, not a Tip. 09 was the 1st yr for the PDK. No price difference when comparing PDK vs manual.

tonythetiger 06-15-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 597674)
A 2010 will have the PDK trans, not a Tip. 09 was the 1st yr for the PDK. No price difference when comparing PDK vs manual.

very good point...and its gray, you all know what I think.

rexcramer 06-15-2019 04:25 PM

Our 09S with PDK was a hoot. Put it in 'Sports' or 'Sports+' mode and mash the throttle. Let the computer pick the gear and hold on. It was ridiculously quick.

BoxMann 06-16-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 597682)
Our 09S with PDK was a hoot. Put it in 'Sports' or 'Sports+' mode and mash the throttle. Let the computer pick the gear and hold on. It was ridiculously quick.

The PDK is an awesome trans, but there's something about having your hand on the stick and shifting gears as you're going through the windy, twisty roads. I would never own a Porsche with an automatic.

tonythetiger 06-17-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 597731)
The PDK is an awesome trans, but there's something about having your hand on the stick and shifting gears as you're going through the windy, twisty roads. I would never own a Porsche with an automatic.

I own both and they are different, love the tip, love the manual. City traffic is enjoyable with the tip and you can let someone valet, the manual only sees my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk