Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Using Jump Starter To Open Frunk

Can you use a jump starter to plug into the 12v receptacle to provide current to open the frunk when you have a dead battery?

I'm reading the instructions for the jump starter and it seems to say that plugging in the male-male cable into the 12v receptacle is to charge the jump starter, not charge the car battery.

Anyone every use this method?

BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

Yes

when my battery died I connected the negative to the door latch and used a Phillips screwdriver for the positive and it only took a second for all lights to come on....push the button and open frunk
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
when my battery died I connected the negative to the door latch and used a Phillips screwdriver for the positive and it only took a second for all lights to come on....push the button and open frunk
What do you mean you "used a Phillips for the positive"? What exactly did you do?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
What do you mean you "used a Phillips for the positive"? What exactly did you do?
Simple, connected the negative clip to door pillar catch....positive on a Phillips screwdriver ...touch tip of Phillips to center of lighter receptacle and you can open frunk
Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Simple, connected the negative clip to door pillar catch....positive on a Phillips screwdriver ...touch tip of Phillips to center of lighter receptacle and you can open frunk
Just make sure you don't touch the sides of the lighter receptacle. Wouldn't the safer choice be to pull the little red tab in the fuse panel and connect the positive to it? That's what it was designed for.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Just make sure you don't touch the sides of the lighter receptacle. Wouldn't the safer choice be to pull the little red tab in the fuse panel and connect the positive to it? That's what it was designed for.
Mine did not work, so I used the lighter outlet. A simple length of electrical tape will greatly reduce the danger of a short.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Mine did not work, so I used the lighter outlet. A simple length of electrical tape will greatly reduce the danger of a short.
I wonder why it didn't work. I'm glad you had a back-up solution, though.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I wonder why it didn't work. I'm glad you had a back-up solution, though.
I only connected long enough to open frunk, I would not try to charge or jump from this method....in fact after I did this I made up a cable just for this emergency using an old cigarette lighter plug and cord. I used red heat shrink on the positive wire and made it 6 inches longer to avoid a short if used again.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
OK, I can picture that now. And the electric tape is a smart move to avoid a short.

On the Jump Starter, do you have it in jump start mode or something else? Is there any concern about overloading the 12v receptacle circuit and blowing its fuse?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
OK, I can picture that now. And the electric tape is a smart move to avoid a short.

On the Jump Starter, do you have it in jump start mode or something else? Is there any concern about overloading the 12v receptacle circuit and blowing its fuse?
I actually used a small 15 amp battery charger, it is only going to draw a small ammount of current for a short time anyway