Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Frozen engine

Help!!!!! I tried to start my Boxster and as it turned over the engine froze.....it is a 1999 with 52xxx miles on it....so it's just out of warranty...I took it to a dealer who finally got in touch with Porsche NA and together they decided to put a new engine in at my cost of about approx $4500.....my thought is that this should never have happened in the first place....any suggestions????

SusanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

They're not the toughest engines out there, by any means. Especially the '99's, for some reason. Be grateful you're covered, and you'll be in good shape with the new engine.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #3

Sorry to hear that SusanR. Unfortunately, it seems that since it is out of warranty, there isn't much you can do. You could try complaining to your dealer, to Porsche America, and Porsche Germany and see what they will do. I've head that some people have gotten 'free' engines, but had to pay for labor. And the dealers charge anywhere from 1.5k to 5k. You seem to be getting a quote on the high end.

Anyway, real sorry to hear that about the boxster.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
b0xt0La

I would complain and blame the engine. My 1997 has over 88k miles and it's still running like a dream. Tell them that the engine shouldn't have failed at 52k miles. If you have all the maintenace records then you will probably make a good case.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4088#post4088
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #5

What is your VIN? You can PM me with it if you do not want to post it. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #6

Well, hey, it could be a good oppurtunity to upgrade. As long as you're changing the engine, throw in a 3.2L or maybe even the 295hp 3.4L 911 engine. I wonder how much a good 3.4L costs???? That would definately be fun in alittle lightweight boxster!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

Hi Susan,

I just got a call from Lenny of Auto Sport Engineering (a Stow, MA-based performance shop and dealer). According to him the issue is a slipped sleeve in the engine block, which causes a destructive interference with the piston ring and, in turn, the piston itself.

Because of a prevalent manufacturing issue with these '99's, you should be 100% covered by Porsche despite being about a year out of warranty. You need to fight for this to make sure it happens, you should not be working toward a compromise dollar figure.

I hope this helps. I apologize for my initial post, I misread your question and took it to meaning that your car had already been agreed to being fixed at no cost to you.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 02-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

Just to add to what I wrote, many other people with 99's have had good-will engine replacements despite mileage or age. You are not groundbreaking or asking for something unreasonable here.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
b0xt0La

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Well, hey, it could be a good oppurtunity to upgrade. As long as you're changing the engine, throw in a 3.2L or maybe even the 295hp 3.4L 911 engine. I wonder how much a good 3.4L costs???? That would definately be fun in alittle lightweight boxster!
A 3.4L engine fits in there easily?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:10 PM   #10

Yeah, well, I don't know about easily, but I have heard of people doing it. I believe a company called roock?? (SP) does it. They take the 3.4L engines from the the 90's 911's I believe and shoehorn them into boxster engine bays. I think it costs 10-15k unfortunately though. It's worth it though, it would make a boxster faster than a newer 320hp 911. Low weight is our friend. I would estmate 0-60mph easily in the high 4 sec range and low 13sec 1/4's with the 3.4L.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote