Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #21

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I looked at that one, but I really don't need 4k (I don't even have a device that will display at 4k) and the rear camera is only 1080p, which is no different then the IROAD X9 rear camera. Plus I've heard of issues where that unit shuts down if it gets too hot.

As far as power usage, the IROAD X9 that I'm looking at is a low power unit when in parking mode and in the software you can set the unit to shut off if the battery gets to a certain level. It has the OBD power cable which is nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H4u0kEzlAU

He was talking about getting a 128GB MicroSD card for $32 CND. Which I will be getting, just not from the company that sells the unit as they charge $60 for it and I can get a SAMSUNG 128GB PRO Endurance (last longer) for $34 or a standard card like they sell at $60 for $20 from Newegg.
The best thing about the 4K is being able to zoom in on licence plates from a further distance, I have had a few 1080 dash cams and you have to be pretty close to get a good licence plate reading. It has a thermal protection if it gets too hot. Haven’t had that happen yet but the max we get around here is 30 c and that is rare.
I chose the 1 ch because I couldn’t figure out a good spot to mount the rear

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #22

Garage
I agree with Fintro11, thought it was most important to be able to read a license plate clearly if some perp damages my car

My Windows 7 laptop won't be supported any longer (after January 2020) so I picked up a 4K Windows 10 and installed the Blackvue DR900S-2CH. Working great so far. Also added the Power Magic Pro to capture events that might happen while the car is parked.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #23

I myself rock the Rexing V1LG in both my Mustang and Boxster. It is a loop recording unit, but it records up to 48 hours before looping. It also has GPS impact reporting, and an internal battery. Lets say your car is sitting, if some one hits the car it pops on, logs the GPS, and records the event. Also it will not record over events. It also has an event button, so lets say you see some one get hit you push the button and it records it as an event and will not record over it. I have both of mine tucked up behind the mirror. From inside the car you can't even see it. The rear camera is attached to the roll bar on the Boxster. That is noticeable with the top down. But it doesn't bother me.

Word of warning though.... Never use your dash cam's recordings to prove something your wife said..... It won't end well.

https://www.rexingusa.com/products/rexing-v1lg/?from=products

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote