Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Axle removal-advice needed

I’m in the process of refreshing my suspension on an 01 2.7, and while pulling the rear apart found torn outer CV boots. I looked into replacing the boots and repacking and the outer apparently can’t be rebuilt. So I found a good set of axles off a 40k mile car and will replace them. My car has 130k.

My dilemma and where I need help, my suspension is apart. I’d really rather not put it all together to break the axle nuts loose only to take it apart again. Have any of you found an impact gun to work? I have a relatively cheap 20v one that won’t break them loose. I tried using a breaker bar against the parking brake but it won’t hold. Any advice or direction is welcome. Thanks!!

dguy535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Watch this video at 5:50 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUCIkwsmMk

It will gives you an idea.

Good luck !
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #3

My 1/2" dewalt took them out like nothing
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:56 AM   #4

I've used air impact guns to remove axle nuts many times. I've never tried with a 20v, but it's worth a shot. To give your 20v a little help, you can try a nail punch or something to spread open the dimple. With my air gun I don't need to do that, I can just zip it off.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Yeah unfortunately mines a Harbor Freight cheapo. It works for “most” stuff I need. May have to invest in a real gun today.
dguy535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy535 View Post
Yeah unfortunately mines a Harbor Freight cheapo. It works for “most” stuff I need. May have to invest in a real gun today.
I have the HF Earthquake XT. It has done the job nicely. It zaps off axle nuts and frame bolts in a breeze. I don't know how long it'll last, and it may not have the torque of a Snap-on (although they claim it does), but you can't beat the price. Snap-on definitely sounds better.

And the HF Impact socket have been indestructible so far! I've had them for several years.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote