Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #1

Garage
Oil Change Dilemma

I took out the P car this spring from winter storage; it had a fresh oil change before storage. I have put just under 500 miles. I anticipate I'll store it NLT Nov with under 1000 miles driven.

Do I change the oil for the winter or store it with under 1000 miles on a fresh oil change with under 1K miles?

Old 08-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I took out the P car this spring from winter storage; it had a fresh oil change before storage. I have put just under 500 miles. I anticipate I'll store it NLT Nov with under 1000 miles driven.

Do I change the oil for the winter or store it with under 1000 miles on a fresh oil change with under 1K miles?
If you plan on changing the oil next spring, I'd think that's equivalent to changing it this Nov, but if you plan on going to next Nov before changing, consider that the oil would be 2 years old by then, and I wouldn't go that long.

My adage:
"you can never hurt anything by changing oil too frequently, only by not changing it frequently enough"
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

It'll be fine unless it affects your sleep this winter. Really.

You are talking about keeping synthetic oil with 1K miles of use in a vehicle that is not moving for an extra 6 months.

Sleep tight.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
It'll be fine unless it affects your sleep this winter. Really.

You are talking about keeping synthetic oil with 1K miles of use in a vehicle that is not moving for an extra 6 months.

Sleep tight.
That is comforting. Though, my real concern was the oil turning acidic over winter storage.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post

Yes. Even 100 miles puts fuel and acids into the oil. Oil is cheap, the consequences are not.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes. Even 100 miles puts fuel and acids into the oil. Oil is cheap, the consequences are not.

That makes sense. Changing the oil, even ~ 6 MOS before storage removes acids, fuel, whatever else e.g. metals, from long-term storage and whatever else these chemicals turn into over several months from not being burnt through combustion.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #7

Garage
I stored mine in November and changed oil in May every year and only did 1000 KM per year. The dealer told me to change it in spring when I take it out and I would be good to go.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I'm with JFP on this . . .

. . . And have been for 6 years. Changing the oil just before storage ensures no unburnt fuel, water or other contaminants are present. I'd rather have clean oil in the engine than in a jug on the shelf waiting for spring.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
. . . And have been for 6 years. Changing the oil just before storage ensures no unburnt fuel, water or other contaminants are present. I'd rather have clean oil in the engine than in a jug on the shelf waiting for spring.
Waste of car and oil... Just drive it all seasons
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

Once a year, whether it needs it or not.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
You've never been to Manitoba in January have you? And please, don't tell me Michigan has winter too. You ain't seen nothin' like a Canadian Prairie winter. Driving a sports car in 40 below temperatures and foot high ice ruts on the roads is not good for the car or your sanity.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
You've never been to Manitoba in January have you? And please, don't tell me Michigan has winter too. You ain't seen nothin' like a Canadian Prairie winter. Driving a sports car in 40 below temperatures and foot high ice ruts on the roads is not good for the car or your sanity.
Yup. I can attest to this. Still have scars on my lips from the zippers on my parka freezing to them as I walked to school as a child.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Rear wheel drive does not work well in snow, in Denver, Co. one of the most expensive states for car insurance; I am taking no chances. I am fortunate, I drive my Audi Quatrro during the winter and then some; we can get snow in Sep/Oct thur Apr/May.