Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Restore my faded top ?

My top is in really good condition, however being in the deep south we get lots of sun...so it now somewhere between dark black and not so dark black. What is my best option that will not look like crap in a year ??

My car came out of Miami originally so now it stays inside 90% of the time.

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

Not sure if there is a way to “dye” the canvas, but restoring the tops waterproofing etc should darken the top somewhat. I use Porsche’s top spray, there are many brands out there. For the Porsche stuff check here on Pelican or on another site that has sun in it and maybe coast as well. The other products can be had on Amazon and a variety of other places to include your local auto parts stores.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Renovo makes a soft top color "reviver" you might want to look into.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Renovo makes a soft top color "reviver" you might want to look into.
I've used Renovo; it works well renewing the soft top.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Not sure if there is a way to “dye” the canvas, but restoring the tops waterproofing etc should darken the top somewhat. I use Porsche’s top spray, there are many brands out there. For the Porsche stuff check here on Pelican or on another site that has sun in it and maybe coast as well. The other products can be had on Amazon and a variety of other places to include your local auto parts stores.
Yep, when I clean the top and put on the protectant, the color does go to the darker side and adds a nice sheen to the top also. I just did my top 10 days ago and decided to try a different brand. I was using the Raggtopp Fabric Cleaner and Protectant kit, but decided to give the 303 Convertible Top Care kit a try. So far I really like it. The darker color and sheen looks great, just have to see how well it holds up. I made the switch as I have never been really happy with how long the Raggtopp Fabric Cleaner and Protectant kit lasted.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
My top is in really good condition, however being in the deep south we get lots of sun...so it now somewhere between dark black and not so dark black. What is my best option that will not look like crap in a year ??

My car came out of Miami originally so now it stays inside 90% of the time.

Thanks in advance

Dwight
I wouldn't doing anything. A little faded doesnt look bad, but the "painted" convertible tops look terrible, and something isn't right. I replaced the top on my 2002 because previous owner tried to rejuvenate the top when selling with renovo. disaster
FWIW, if the top is in good shape, it probably looks fine and looks natural.
My personal logic:
1. it doesn't make the car more reliable or valuable.
2. when the top is up, the weather sucks
3. a brand new top looks great and if it bothers you, do that
4. if you review feedback, youll hear others complain that it looks weird and splotchy

no offense to others that feel differently
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
I wouldn't doing anything. A little faded doesnt look bad, but the "painted" convertible tops look terrible, and something isn't right. I replaced the top on my 2002 because previous owner tried to rejuvenate the top when selling with renovo. disaster
My personal logic:
4. if you review feedback, youll hear others complain that it looks weird and splotchy

Agreed. I've read comments and reviews about the Ren... product. Applied with a paintbrush, IIRC. I learn from other's successes. And failures.

Before summer kicks in too much I'm going Kram's route... the 303. Top doesn't go down much when it's 115 outside.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
My personal logic:

Just an FYI... there are two type of products in discussion here. What I am talking about, just for clarity, is simply a top conditioner and water repellent finish. It sprays on, and helps seal the top, just as new. One thing I didn’t mention is, it is important to thoroughly clean the top prior.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #9

I have the stuff from chemical guys to clean and protect. I have not tried it yet, but watching several how to videos, there are several steps involved to properly clean and protect. I suggest watching some youtube videos. Basically was a wash, dry, vacuum, use a lint roller, then protectant. I am sure other ways to approach, but the video covered brush types and such.