Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

Rhd led headlights to aim Lhd

Hola,I am importing a 1997 Boxster from Japan into Canada. It has LED projector headlights that I think are made for Japan. Has anyone been able to redirect the lenses for driving on the other side of the road?

Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
Hola,I am importing a 1997 Boxster from Japan into Canada. It has LED projector headlights that I think are made for Japan. Has anyone been able to redirect the lenses for driving on the other side of the road?
Great question!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's not how they are "aimed".

There is a cutoff shield inside the projector with a dipped portion that blocks light a bit more on the oncoming traffic side. You'd need to disassemble the headlights and flip those shields around so that the dipped portion is on the other side.

Here you can see a generic cutoff shield and the difference in height between the right and left side. You'd need to flip this piece around.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 05-22-2019 at 10:37 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

I don't think you'll be able to do this unless you can disassemble the headlamp unit and reverse the low beam shutters in the projectors. The shutter is shaped to make the low beam pattern project farther onto the passenger side of the car to light up the shoulder and side of the road. That is if the light unit is that kind of projector and the shutter can actually be reversed. If it's not that kind of projector and the low beam pattern relies on a lens, you would need to be able to disassemble the headlamp unit, and replace the RHD lens with a LHD lens. You're not going to be able to make them right by adjusting the headlight aiming in my opinion. If that were the case then manufacturers would just make one headlight for both RHD and LHD and aim them accordingly.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote