Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #1

Garage
Expansion Tank Bleeder Valve

A couple of years ago I replaced my coolant expansion tank with an after market. two years later I started losing coolant again it and a mechanic diagnosed it at the ventilation bleeder valve. The tank is no longer under warranty and I can take an inexpensive way out by replacing the bleeder valve instead of the entire tank. 1)Does anybody have experience with this? Seems easy enough, but is it really? 2)Could I have something else going on in my cooling system that might have caused the bleeder to fail (other than a poor quality replacement)?

samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:02 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Easy to do, just (gently) remove the bolts and swap in a new o-ring and bleeder valve.
When I replaced my coolant tank, I kept the bleeder from the old tank as a known good used part.
You know, just in case.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Easy to do, just (gently) remove the bolts and swap in a new o-ring and bleeder valve.
When I replaced my coolant tank, I kept the bleeder from the old tank as a known good used part.
You know, just in case.
Thanks!!! I heard those screws strip easy. Do you know if the valve is a certain orientation. I'll mark the alignment of the one I remove. I saved my old tank, but cleaned out my garage a few months ago. I'm afraid it may have been tossed!!! I see them online $45 with oring and hardware.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I just replaced both o-rings in about 30 minutes for $6 worth of Pelican Parts. Sneak up on the torque of the screws. When they are snug they're tight.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I just replaced both o-rings in about 30 minutes for $6 worth of Pelican Parts. Sneak up on the torque of the screws. When they are snug they're tight.
I replaced it a few days ago being extra cautious of over torquing. Everything appears successful. Got through a 99 degree South Carolina weekend without over heating or coolant loss!!! However... today the check engine light came on. Not sure if one is related to the other. I’m guessing that light is indicating an emissions fault somewhere?!?!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The CEL could be anything. Plug a code reader into it and let us know what the number is to start. Gas cap tight?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

Agree with Rex

Throwing parts in is no good unless you have a direction to throw them in.

I hope you get this worked out
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #8

Garage
Cel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The CEL could be anything. Plug a code reader into it and let us know what the number is to start. Gas cap tight?
I recalled a couple years ago the CEL came on and my non-scientific corrective action was to race it to 6000 rpm. The light came off. Not certain if I was lucky, or perhaps cleared something out of the emissions system. Anyway... it didn't work this time. Autozone plugged it in for a P1411 and P0410 (Air Injection Control Solenoid).

I just left the gas station for what I believe is my second fill-up since the light came on. As I pulled away I noticed the light off. Maybe something with the cap??? In any event I am over due for an 80K service anyway.....