Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Water pump or thermostat?

Hey all, yesterday my boxster started cooking on me

While driving, I noticed my temp gauge starting to rise and eventually maxing out. Thankfully I was only a blockaway when this happened.
When the temp got to max, my oil light turned on and I had a knocking sound come somewhere under my feet. Side note is that the heater was not blowing hot air even though the car was cooking itself.
When I got home, I popped the trunk and the antifreeze cap was boiling over with steam.

My searches lead me to believe that it could be the waterpump, however I replaced that on September. Other thoughts is maybe the thermostat.

What is also unknown to me are those loud clunks that started happening when that oil light turned on.

Should I be buying a thermostat first just because it's cheaper? What do you guys think?

Thank you

Jeeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeab View Post
What do you guys think?
I think you should have pulled over, shut the car off, and called a flatbed. These engines do not do well when overheated.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Hey all, yesterday my boxster started cooking on me

What is also unknown to me are those loud clunks that started happening when that oil light turned on.

Should I be buying a thermostat first just because it's cheaper? What do you guys think?

Thank you
Unfortunately, it sounds like a thermostat might be the least of your worries. Loud clunks after the oil light comes on sounds pretty terminal to me.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:

When the temp got to max, my oil light turned on and I had a knocking sound come somewhere under my feet. Side note is that the heater was not blowing hot air even though the car was cooking itself.

So......
Not to be all negative Nelly here..... but;

I know you said it was only a block away, but either that's a very LONG block, or you were going very slow. You kept driving with the car overheating, long enough for the oil light to come on. And then it started making noises, you described them as "clunks", yet you kept driving it home.

I'm with JFP here: what may have been a simple low-on-coolant issue (that's why your heater was blowing cold) is almost certainly a much bigger issue now.

My fingers are crossed for ya.

First thing I'd do is dump the oil and inspect it and the filter. Might as well make sure the motor's still good before putting a new water pump on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote