986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ignition Stays On Until I Press the Brake (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75316-ignition-stays-until-i-press-brake.html)

ZoomGlide125 05-17-2019 11:02 AM

Ignition Stays On Until I Press the Brake

I've have a 99 2.5 manual boxster that I've been fighting multiple gremlins with. I just got a new immobilizer/ecu/key from ecu Dr and now my locks seem to be working 90% better now. However after installing that new set the ignition will not turn off until I press the brake pedal. I can turn the key and take or out, but the engine will stay on until the brake pedal is touched. I replaced the ignition switch but the car still acts the same. I also can't find any information on this problem.

Any help or ideas on this?

piper6909 05-17-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoomGlide125 (Post 595437)
I've have a 99 2.5 manual boxster that I've been fighting multiple gremlins with. I just got a new immobilizer/ecu/key from ecu Dr and now my locks seem to be working 90% better now. However after installing that new set the ignition will not turn off until I press the brake pedal. I can turn the key and take or out, but the engine will stay on until the brake pedal is touched. I replaced the ignition switch but the car still acts the same. I also can't find any information on this problem.

Any help or ideas on this?

I think your answer is inside your question: "...after installing that new set..."

If the problem started immediately after, I would suspect the Immobilizer or the ECU. Have you tried ECU Doctors for help?

What was wrong with your old Immobilizer/ECU?

78F350 05-17-2019 01:14 PM

Is the wiring on the ignition switch repaired or modified at all from a previous owner? Sometimes from stereo or tracker installs they can get hacked up and compromised. I'd still suspect the ignition switch. Sometimes new parts are bad.

ZoomGlide125 05-17-2019 01:52 PM

Okay thanks for the help. The old set had water damage in the immobilizer and the CLU didn't work at all. It was too damage to repair so they sent me a new matching set. I'll dive back in and check the actual ignition wiring. The car did have an aftermarket radio. ECU Doctors just told me that it's a common problem with the ignitions in these cars.

particlewave 05-17-2019 02:24 PM

I assure you that your issue is not common. Yes, the ignition switches are known points of failure, but the likelihood of the replacement having the exact same issue is slim to none.
I would keep pressing ECU Doctors for assistance.

In the meantime, I will look over the wiring diagrams for you to see if I can provide any insight.