Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

Is this what a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor looks like at the tachometer?

My 2001 Boxster base 2.7 has been acting up intermittently over the last few weeks with increasing frequency. Yesterday, I drove it then parked it, had dinner, and coming back to start it, it wouldn’t start in the parking lot.

I tried substituting the fuel pump relay with a bypass wire, and that didn’t make any difference.

https://youtu.be/cXlf-JOnPZU

I captured this video showing the tachometer when I’m trying to start it. The tachometer rises to “0” when I turn the key to the accessory position, but it doesn’t move away from “0” when cranking. Does this mean it’s a bad crankshaft position sensor?

What’s involved in replacing the CPS? Is there a link to a “DIY How-to?”

Also, is it necessary for me to buy a scan tool to download ecu codes to further diagnose this problem? Or have I gathered enough info to diagnose it?

Thanks!

Last edited by jakeru; 05-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Classic CPS failure. Held in by one bolt, it is on the passengers side of the bell housing.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Thank you JFP!! Ordering a new Bosch one on Amazon right now.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Thank you JFP!! Ordering a new Bosch one on Amazon right now.
OK. Gotta ask...

What is "Greater Seattle"?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #5

Seattle plus the areas around it.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

Update:

I just changed the crankshaft position sensor. The amazon one was a perfect fit. It even had the identical Porsche part number (starting with “986”) printed on the wiring. The Bosch part number on this part was 0 261 210 204.

Here’s the Amazon link to the CPS that I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8ZHOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RgX5CbCN2PCFT

Car seems running great, but putting some more time on it is necessary to confirm 100% that the problem is fixed.

Notes on the installation process:
1. Jack up right rear of car - in front of tire is where I jack
2. Remove right rear wheel
3. Put jack stand under right rear diagonal piece, (directly below where cast aluminum support bolts to it.)
4. Underneath the car, remove oxygen sensor bracket (5mm Allen head bolt I think). Can leave oxygen sensor installed.
5. Unbolt bracket holding oxygen sensor wiring to rear of cylinder head (small 10mm bolt head) - this lets the oxygen sensor wiring swing out of the way to allow good access the CPS bolt.
6. Using 5mm Allen head bit with extension, reach in behind cylinder head to the recess where the bolt is. The bolt is above the cylindrical CPS body. Loosen bolt and remove. Careful not to drop the bolt.
7. Disconnecting the wiring was a bit tricky. There was a bracket the connector slides into. Hard to see.
8. Reinstall CPS, reconnect the wiring and reinstall the oxygen sensor wiring brackets, etc.

That’s it!
Old 06-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Porsche Boxster 986 3.2 2003 difficult remove crankshaft

Hello,
I'm new here, I'm having difficulty replacing my Porsche Boxster's Crankshaft position sensor, I know where it's located and I've already removed the screw but removing the sensor is difficult. Someone can help me? Is there any tool to remove the sensor?

Thanks
boxster98602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #8

Just be careful and take your time. twist it back and forth. You can TRY using a flat screwdriver to pry it up, but I do not recommend this unless you have some experience doing this kind of thing with plastic parts. You need to be able to feel if it is breaking or coming out.

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote