Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Roof Rattle

I am still trying to figure out a rattle from my right rear. As mentioned previously, I had it looked at twice and no one found a problem with the suspension. It was a Porsche Indie so I am assuming they know what they were doing.

Has anyone experience any rattle from the roof mechanism? Is there anywhere that might rattle but lessens as the engine gets warmer? I tried shaking the coolant tank, seems tight. The oil stick has a little play but I couldn't hear the rattle with engine running.

Any thoughts on something in the engine bay that could possibly rattle on the right side.

Car is a 986 S.

Thanks. It drives me nuts since I try to keep up on problems. This one I just cant figure out.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #2

See if it's your wind baffles in the roll bar. Notorious for the "can't find" rattles.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Seat belt metal part hitting the side or back side of passenger seat's hard surface?
Larry (the bald eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #4

Garage
I found my roof rattle was as Geof3 mentioned. It was the left side wind baffle tabs bouncing on the bottom of the roll bar. I resolved it by attaching a few small pieces of open cell foam insulation (other one side adhesive type in a roll). Worked perfectly. For years I thought it was my roof structure as the sound never seemed to come from that specific location.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

The wind baffles in the roll bar did make a noise but I fixed with insulation tap. I think the seat belt would be more metallic sounding, metal to metal. It's like a low tone rattle noise that seems to go away after driving for a while.

Thanks for the responses.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote