Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #1

Recommendations: Cross-Country Auto-Transport

I'm looking to have a car transported from Irvine, CA to Tampa, FL and was wondering if anyone on the forums had prior experience with anyone and would recommend them.

I've used DAS before and not happy with them. Tried the U-Ship route and that was a disaster. Used a local auto-transport broker and that ended up being a disaster too.

I know of two private transporters that I've used that are solid; the one fellow only transports on a route from Colorado, through Texas to Florida and back. The other fellow stays in the SE area doing routes mostly from Georgia to FL and back. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a solid transporter that goes coast-to-coast (specifically, CA to FL).

dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Reliable Carriers advertises in Panorama.

So does Intercity Lines
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Reliable Carriers advertises in Panorama.
Reliable quoted me $2,308.00 which I think is on the over-priced side. I was thinking closer in the $1,250.00 range for transport is reasonable.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:06 AM   #4

I used fourcornerstransportservices.com to get a Boxster from Florida to Maine. Excellent service. I went with mid-price level based on about a million quotes that came in. Good service, good communication, car arrived on time and in good condition. I used an open transport. It cost around $725.00.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
Reliable quoted me $2,308.00 which I think is on the over-priced side. I was thinking closer in the $1,250.00 range for transport is reasonable.
Best of luck getting a carrier w/ a good reputation to share your thinking particularly if enclosed transport (I presume you desire as you priced Reliable)

I've used JP Logistics in past w/ good success. To keep costs as low as possible, either find a carrier who runs same/similar route regularly or exercise much patience/flexibility in waiting for one to build [around you] a load which will not cost them too much $ in out of way stops or dead heading.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Intercity just quoted me $2,195.00

The fellow I've used a few times to do TX to FL runs (reliable and never had a problem with him) is enclosed transport and charges me $500.00 per car so, I didn't think $1250 was out of line.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Intercity or Angels Transport. Go on Rennlist, and get discounted quotes.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #8

Garage
I used Montway auto transport. They offer both open and enclosed services. They quote you right on the Web page if I remember correct.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

I used Intercity with excellent results...It's not worth saving a few hundred bucks to go with an inferior carrier...The museum quality '85 Carrera Targa I had shipped was the cheapest car in the rig by far...

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I used Montway auto transport. They offer both open and enclosed services. They quote you right on the Web page if I remember correct.
Thanks for the recommendation to use Montway. I did as much research as I could find regarding them, spoke with several people and I went with them to transport the vehicle I just purchased. They quoted me $1309.00 door-to-door, with pick up on my specified date and delivery 7-9 days later.

Both Reliable and Intercity estimated 2-4 weeks delivery in their quotes.

I will report back with a review once I receive my new baby!

Thanks everyone!
- J.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation to use Montway. I did as much research as I could find regarding them, spoke with several people and I went with them to transport the vehicle I just purchased. They quoted me $1309.00 door-to-door, with pick up on my specified date and delivery 7-9 days later.

Both Reliable and Intercity estimated 2-4 weeks delivery in their quotes.

I will report back with a review once I receive my new baby!

Thanks everyone!
- J.
Reliable and Intercity are direct; Montway is a broker... Vast differences in how each operates and who does actual hauling. Hopefully your transport experience will please you as much as your new baby.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #12

Garage
The driver I had from Montway was professional. They may lease individual drivers but they put their name and insurance on the line in doing so. Best of luck and glad I could help.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

Just wanted to put a final follow-up post regarding my transaction with Montway.

Had the car go through a PPI in Cali (everything came back fine) and then I flew out to Cali on the 19th, checked out and drove the car on the 20th. Made arrangements with Montway to pickup the car on the 21st; driver was expected to show up in the afternoon and arrived at 2PM. Loaded the car and she was off on her cross-country trip to FL. Flew back on the 22nd and 7 days later on the 28th, she was dropped off at 11AM.

The driver that picked up the car was the one who delivered it. He was extremely professional, it was covered transport and the car clearly was not moved during the entire transport (she was loaded all the way up front on the lower deck).

Extremely pleased with the service, I thought it was incredibly fast and best of all, it was very reasonably priced!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Just wanted to put a final follow-up post regarding my transaction with Montway.

Had the car go through a PPI in Cali (everything came back fine) and then I flew out to Cali on the 19th, checked out and drove the car on the 20th. Made arrangements with Montway to pickup the car on the 21st; driver was expected to show up in the afternoon and arrived at 2PM. Loaded the car and she was off on her cross-country trip to FL. Flew back on the 22nd and 7 days later on the 28th, she was dropped off at 11AM.

The driver that picked up the car was the one who delivered it. He was extremely professional, it was covered transport and the car clearly was not moved during the entire transport (she was loaded all the way up front on the lower deck).

Extremely pleased with the service, I thought it was incredibly fast and best of all, it was very reasonably priced!
Glad to hear!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Glad to hear!
Had a really good experience with Smart Auto Move – Nationwide Auto Shipping |1-888-709-9078 hope it helps.
cristinestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #16

I've also heard bad things about uship. Had good luck using a1autotransport.com a few times over the past 5 years or so. They operate throughout the U.S. so going from one coast to the other is no problem and I think they have offices in both places. Def. worth a call or email to see what price they offer. They were pretty competitive in my experience and I called about 4-5 others to check.
Morelaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #17

We will transport it, in Oakland FL can also be the best option to choose for the vehicle transportation.
MaryPoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #18

Car Shipping

Hey guys thanks for the info, I was trying to find a reliable car shipping company for about a month and read your suggestions. Price was a major factor for me and Montway was way too expensive, I found a car shipper through the Better Business Bureau website call Smart Auto Move and they did an awesome job transporting my car from Chicago to Los Angeles. Hope this helps the next person as it was super stressful trying to find the right auto transport company. They actually provide instant quotes on their website too www.smartautomove.com

RobertMaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote