Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

2003 Boxster removal of side grill for intake

Does anyone have any pictures of the back side of the driver's side intake grill? It appears that the clips on the back are somewhat different than those of the 2002 and earlier cars. I had the 987 airbox installed when the engine was out but when I got some old parts back from the shop I see that they didn't install the snorkel on the 987 airbox and I would like to if possible. There is a lot of intake air noise over 4,000 rpm and if the snorkel will tone that down a bit I won't complain. Yesterday I tried to take the vent out but gave up due to the colder weather, as I didn't want to break it. I think it may come out when temperatures are a bit warmer and the plastic maybe a bit more flexible and I know where the clips are. I did do a search and only found these 2 threads with some relevant information.

Help with 03 Boxster desnorklling

How to DeSnorkel & Removing side vents on your Porsche Boxster

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Hey PaulE,
I know exactly how you feel! The internet is no real help here, especially YouTube...they all pop the left intake out with a fingersnip.
For me, it was a struggle...first with my original left intake (MY2001) --> replaced them with MY2004 and it turned out that those are a REAL PITA to remove.
It seems that the lower left part inside is 1mm longer, well at least not 100% the same, so it is REALLY difficult to get it of the metal latch, which holds them basically tight in place.

I used brute force up to a point, where I thought, I gonna brake the left intake. In the end I used SEVERAL covered screw drivers and what not, to lift that lower part over the metal latch. It left a few tiny scars in the paint (luckily covered by the intake...i fixed those later).
So yes...one can switch from preFL to FL intakes...but that does not make life easier...lol.

Right intake was okay to remove.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

Let me know if this helps.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

I just wiggled mine out. The collar is only attached to the vent by sliding over those 2 ribs in the vent. 👇
Old 05-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

Won't let me edit. There are 4 of those attaching points. One on each corner.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Thanks Jan and Bran! I see a used Seal Gray vent listed on eBay, I may buy it just in case! I am assuming the 987 snorkel is going to fit, since that airbox was stock on the 2004 550 SE. I'm also going to wait until the weather is warm and I'm not tired! This weekend is the NNJR PCA chapter car control clinic on Saturday and Mothers' Day on Sunday so it's going to be a while before I get to it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #8

Well I got to it today. Got the side vent out, the tab on the front bottom (left) corner was what was hanging up. After that, the rubber boot had some permatex tacky gasket material on the inside of the surround and dum-dum around the outside seal. A couple of trip to the auto store for some gasket seal and 3M putty strips and I was back in business. At first I thought I could reuse the dumdum on there but that wasn't the case so I made a second trip to buy a $30 box of 3M putty strips. Tomorrow is our PCA chapter car control clinic, so I'll hear what it sounds like re-snorkeled.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Meant to include these in the last post.