986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A way to know if IMS was upgraded (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75187-way-know-if-ims-upgraded.html)

palmhero 05-03-2019 02:57 PM

A way to know if IMS was upgraded

I purchased the 1998 2.5l recently. All I know is that it was imported from Germany in 2010, which means there's a slight chance it had the IMS bearing already upgraded by prev. owner (that's unknown to me).
Is there any way to tell if that part is stock without actually removing the clutch?

JFP in PA 05-03-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmhero (Post 594349)
I purchased the 1998 2.5l recently. All I know is that it was imported from Germany in 2010, which means there's a slight chance it had the IMS bearing already upgraded by prev. owner (that's unknown to me).
Is there any way to tell if that part is stock without actually removing the clutch?

Without a paper trail, no.

piper6909 05-03-2019 03:36 PM

If it was upgraded with the DOF solution, you'd see a tube going from the oil filter to the back of the motor where it mates with the bell housing. Any other upgrade there's no way to tell without taking the clutch off.

Starter986 05-03-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594355)
If it was upgraded with the DOF solution, you'd see a tube going from the oil filter to the back of the motor where it mates with the bell housing. Any other upgrade there's no way to tell without taking the clutch off.

;)

What if it's a Tiptronic, and absent the DOF solution? Are there any other indicators that might reveal that the IMS was replaced?

Thanks!

palmhero 05-03-2019 03:56 PM

I think I'll start by inquiring at the Porsche Center. If it was replaced there, there would be some service history available. Unless they charge the price of another Boxster for that info.....

mikefocke 05-05-2019 03:16 PM

The 98 would have had an engine with the first generation bearing. There is a chance the engine was replaced and that replacement engine could have had another generation Porsche sourced bearing. Or some owner could have replaced the original with any number of bearings from any number of sources. And there is no way known to the experts to tell short of pulling the transmission and engine apart.

piper6909 05-05-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594358)
;)

What if it's a Tiptronic, and absent the DOF solution? Are there any other indicators that might reveal that the IMS was replaced?

Thanks!

If it's a Tiprtonic you won't need to remove the clutch! :D

Starter986 05-06-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594477)
If it's a Tiprtonic you won't need to remove the clutch! :D

You're brilliant! Maybe you didn't understand my inquiry, as Tiptronic doesn't have a clutch. Next time I'll use multi-colored fonts and in different sizes. ;)

JBauer 05-06-2019 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594484)
You're brilliant! Maybe you didn't understand my inquiry, as Tiptronic doesn't have a clutch. Next time I'll use multi-colored fonts and in different sizes. ;)

This 👇 🙄

piper6909 05-06-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I thought you were joking. :o

Here's the serious answer:

AFAIK, If it's a DOF solution, you'd see a tube running from the oil filter to the back of the block where the tranny mates up. Regardless of whether it's a manual tranny or Tip.

I don't know of any other upgrade where you'd be able to tell without dropping the tranny (manual or Tip) or verifying with service history.

piper6909 05-06-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 594487)
This 👇 🙄

JBauer gets it! :)

Starter986 05-06-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 594488)
Sorry, I thought you were joking. :o

Here's the serious answer:

AFAIK, If it's a DOF solution, you'd see a tube running from the oil filter to the back of the block where the tranny mates up. Regardless of whether it's a manual tranny or Tip.

I don't know of any other upgrade where you'd be able to tell without dropping the tranny (manual or Tip) or verifying with service history.

I'm always picking brains, and thought you might know something I didn't. I'll include a smiley or wink when jesting... thus the crayon reference, lol.

So... I've no jab about "slim pickings".

:D

Have a great day!!! :cheers:

piper6909 05-06-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 594491)
I'm always picking brains, and thought you might know something I didn't. I'll include a smiley or wink when jesting... thus the crayon reference, lol.

So... I've no jab about "slim pickings".

:D

Have a great day!!! :cheers:

:cheers:

BTW, I'm in the same situation. I have Tiptronic and no way of knowing if the IMS was done.

The cost of doing the IMS is about 1/3 of a junkyard motor. And that's just parts. I have no idea what labor would be if I got in over my head and couldn't do it myself. Not much of an insurance benefit, in my opinion, since the failure rate is about 10%.

If I had a manual tranny, I'd probably plan to do it when the clutch was due.

So, I'll just drive and enjoy the car and if it fails I'll worry about it then.

Also, I'll examine the oil filter for debris when I change the oil.

Best wishes.

mikefocke 05-06-2019 10:45 AM

Good luck at the dealer. All sorts of assumptions there as the car might have been serviced by an independent mechanic. Also the dealer may or may not give you info based on privacy concerns.

Paul 05-06-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Actually tips have clutch packs....:cheers: