Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

Amp plug wire question poweron

Been looking at the amp wire diagram but I am unclear which connection is switched on that can be used to tell aftermarket amp the radio has been turned on.

If anybody can help appreciate it. I am wiring up my aftermarket amp interface plug now. Took cheap ebay amp big plug off of board. Going to use the tin amp cover flipped reverse and bolted to extra factory amp brace. All interconnects will be on here, with the plug out end where factory amp plug is located.

When i get it all together will post pics and a wiring diagram.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

This thread has a lot of good information: Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
This thread has a lot of good information: Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN
Thanks but i already have the head unit wired and tested. I was trying to identify the wire color i. The frunk amp connector that might have the amps turn on signal. However reading some other tutorials i will probably need to run a wire for that signal.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:14 AM   #4

In my notes, I have "remote" listed as BK/RD, goes to pin B11. This was on my 02 S, with Bose.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #5

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

Here's a good post.

Hello. I made these amplifier connector adapters as part of my stereo upgrade, so I could replace my factory Haes 6x40 DSP amplifier with a good aftermarket unit without cutting or splicing into the factory harness where it connects to the factory amp.

I made the adapters using the factory AMP connectors from a donor Haes amp. The adapters connect to the factory harness connectors using the factory retention mechanisms.

There are two connectors on the factory harness. The input connector carries the line level signals from the radio and DSP control signals from the DSP controller to the amp. The output connector carries the amplified output from the amp to the speakers. I made an adapter for each.

The "input" adapter plugs into the 18-pin factory harness connector and terminates into standard front and rear female RCA connectors. A 16 gauge amplifier turn on wire is terminated with a 1/4inch female spade connector. All other pins (useless DSP) are present but not connected. All pins are encased in silicon for strength.

Input adapter pinout (looking at the silicon end of the connector):
The pinout agrees with the amp schematics available elsewhere on the forum.

1-----------------9
| o o o o o o o o o |
| o o o o o o o o o |
10----------------18

2 RR-
3 RL-
4 FR-
5 FL-
7 12V switched (amp turn on)
10 RR+
11 RL+
12 FR+
13 FL+

The "output" adapter plugs into the 20-pin factory harness connector and terminates into 6 pairs of 14 gauge speaker wire with male 1/4inch spade connectors. The 12V main power and ground pins are present but not connected since they are not suitable for aftermarket amp use. All solder joints are wrapped in heat shrink tubing. The plug had small "keys" which mate to the factory harness surface. The keys were shaved to allow the adapter to work with different harnesses (M680, etc).

Output adapter pinout (looking at the heatshrink end of the connector):
The pinout agrees with the amp schematics available elsewhere on the forum. Also, the pin numbers are molded into the connector.

--11------------------20
| .o o o o o o o o o o |
| o o o o o o o o o o. |
1 ------------------10-

+,-
------
10,20 left dash
9,19 right dash
18,8 left door
17,7 right door
6,16 left rear
5,15 right rear

After upgrading my speakers, I pulled the factory amp, plugged in these adapters and connected my Alpine amp via ordinary RCA cables and an amp turn on wire. I connected the Alpine's outputs to the output harness with additional 14 gauge speaker wires. Presto.

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the DSP package (M680). I used these adapters with the factory Becker CDR-220, Alpine F-450 amp, and Dynaudio System 340 speakers and crossovers with excellent results. I only tested on my car, but as far as I can tell from the schematics, this should work fine with other non-M680 versions.

I eventually changed my crossover setup which forced me to run all new RCA adn speaker wires, so I'm not using these adapters anymore. I might sell them to recover my cost. PM me if you're interested.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #7

Thanks I believe this will get me going again. My extra amp I bought was cut out from the wiring harness so I have the wires for speakers figured out nicely. Just on the schematic wasn't exactly sure which was switched to turn on the amp.

The input connector is the smaller connector correct?

I am have the big connector out and ready to start soldering the speaker connections in. Going to solder those with short lengths to a connector board.

drilling the end plat for the RCA cables.

The problem I had was identifying the switched so I think I am back in business now.

Also near having the extra door boxes ready for the 6.5" Going to use the pioneer network mode for cross over duties.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Thanks I believe this will get me going again. My extra amp I bought was cut out from the wiring harness so I have the wires for speakers figured out nicely. Just on the schematic wasn't exactly sure which was switched to turn on the amp.

The input connector is the smaller connector correct?

I am have the big connector out and ready to start soldering the speaker connections in. Going to solder those with short lengths to a connector board.

drilling the end plat for the RCA cables.

The problem I had was identifying the switched so I think I am back in business now.

Also near having the extra door boxes ready for the 6.5" Going to use the pioneer network mode for cross over duties.
Do you have any pictures of the finished adapter?
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
Do you have any pictures of the finished adapter?
No pics, nothing to see, really once i put together i wrapped it. Not show car but if i want to go back to stock its unplug aftermarket and plug stock amp and srew in mount plate.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
No pics, nothing to see, really once i put together i wrapped it. Not show car but if i want to go back to stock its unplug aftermarket and plug stock amp and srew in mount plate.
ok, i understand. i just started this project and bought a done amp yesterday. i removed the plug and ready to attach the speaker wire. i have straighten the leads on the plug and planned on soldering directly to them. Is that what you did?
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
ok, i understand. i just started this project and bought a done amp yesterday. i removed the plug and ready to attach the speaker wire. i have straighten the leads on the plug and planned on soldering directly to them. Is that what you did?
Exactly be careful with the heat I got to hot. If you could extract the pins it would be easier. Was a pain getting the connector off the circuit board. For the rca inputs I just ran cables to the amp in the end, so only connecting for speakeroutput.