986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   996 on Wheeler Dealers tonight (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75059-996-wheeler-dealers-tonight.html)

tommy583 04-17-2019 05:46 PM

996 on Wheeler Dealers tonight

I'm watching it now. So far they have done the IMS, AOS , rear wheel bearings and had the center console recovered with leather. I miss Ed, but it's still a pretty good show.

YellowS2000 04-17-2019 11:44 PM

have to look out for that, the centre consul but will be of interest as they the coating they used on the original ones like mine is rubbish.

Reminds me a bit of the stuff that Ferrari used that ends up going sticky lol.

An option is to get it painted but I'm never keen on that look.

Doug427 04-18-2019 04:14 AM

My center console was all boogered up like most. I took it to one of those car warp/Japanese tuner/big fart can muffler places and had them vinyl wrap it in carbon fiber just to see what it came out like. To my amazement it actually looks pretty good. I installed it back in the car and I'm pretty happy with it, I think I'll leave it in there.

Burg Boxster 04-18-2019 06:58 AM

Watched.

Laughed at a couple of tidbits...

Shop recovered rear console and armrest lid in stitched leather for a mere $600... Wow - must've done for promotional trade as shop sells JUST armrest lids for 9x6s at $289 ea and a 997 center console will run you $1,789

Even funnier, sort of, was Ant's comment about the new clutch he installed. Specifically, [sic] it's now good for another 30k, depending on whose driving Mike or him. WHAT?!?!? Hit DVR rewind twice just to confirm :eek:

For the love of Pete, someone - anyone please teach them how to drive manual if only getting ~ 30k out of a new clutch and flywheel.

All in all, decent entertainment and glad to see a non-repeat show on the 'new' MotorTrend TV. Of course, now it's a repeat episode for those who didn't watch first airing :D

cas951 04-18-2019 07:59 AM

Anyine know which IMS bearing they used?

JFP in PA 04-18-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 593326)
Anyine know which IMS bearing they used?

LN IMS Solution dual row. Unfortunately, they skipped more steps than they showed, so is was a bit of a "Reader's Digest" version of how it is done.

JayG 04-18-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 593328)
LN IMS Solution dual row. Unfortunately, they skipped more steps than they showed, so is was a bit of a "Reader's Digest" version of how it is done.

you expected more? :p

dghii 04-18-2019 05:42 PM

Caught the last 30 minutes last night.Makes me feel good about the 2003 C2 996 I bought last spring from a neighbor with 66K miles. 10 years worth of maintenance records and all the expensive stuff (IMS, RMS Clutch, tires, coolant tank, AOS, Top and top hydraulics) done in the last couple of years and 2,500 miles. I paid more than they did but have less in the car overall than what they finished with.

I currently have the console out to have it painted (arctic silver). Looking forward to putting it back together.

husker boxster 04-18-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 593348)

It would have been nice if they'd have shown Ant locking down the engine before the removal. I understand they only have 40 some min of content and can't show everything, but the could have cut out a min or two of them driving around mountain roads to make room for a key step in the process.

flmont 04-18-2019 08:12 PM

And since Wheelers used the IMS Solution its now 20% off at LN,. until the 19 th or 20th of April !!

thstone 04-19-2019 06:40 AM

Its a good show and they did a good job on covering the 996.

But I try not to take anything on Velocity/MT tv too serious since the goal is entertainment. I mostly skip the intro part where Mike finds the cars, watch the middle portion where Edd/Ant repairs the cars, and then fast forward though the end.

JFP in PA 04-19-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 593348)

Stuff like this is exactly why so many DIY's go horribly wrong. Over the years, we have seen more than our share of installs that when south simply because they did not follow the explicit instruction steps. If you are going to publish or post short cut videos, you should take ten seconds to explain that time constrains prevent showing all of the necessary steps, if for no other reason than to save some totally unnecessary grief and expense.

nickg 04-19-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 593369)
And since Wheelers used the IMS Solution its now 20% off at LN,. until the 19 th or 20th of April !!

where do you see this?