Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jscrimsh Send a message via Yahoo to jscrimsh
Smell Hot?

Has anyone ever noticed a "hot smell" from their car whenever they park it? I have a 2000 boxster (bought 4 weeks ago) and when I pull into my garage, the odor seems to linger for a while as the engine cools down... I also "feel" the heat on my legs as I get my bag from the trunk. Is this normal? Do I need to have it checked out before the warranty runs out?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

jscrimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM   #2

The heat radiating from the rear of the car is very normal, even with moderate driving. It can take quite some time to cool down after "spirited" play. It is not clear what you call a "hot smell"... but it is possible for roadway debris to get lodged under the car near the engine/muffler and cause this. My daily driver somehow got a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust pipe and it always smells like a molding shop when I put it into the garage...
Old 04-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the re-assurance! I assumed that it just ran hot, but my wife was asking about the odor... Given the amount of road grime on Hwy 20 here, I can imagine that its something collected on the way home from work

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #4

If it is enough to trigger the female "car nose" (no offense intended, ladies, but males seem to be more paranoid on car smells - however, women can usually sense by smell from the living room that the trash in the garage wasn't taken out ), then you might want to check the smell out a little more... given that you are new to the car, I'd be sure to check the fluids levels and maybe stick my head under to see if anything obvious is happening like an oil drip, etc...

Last edited by donv; 04-07-2004 at 08:08 PM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 AM   #5

From my experience, I think I know what that "smell" means. If it smells like a hot iron, it may mean that the hot engine and exhaust pipes, etc. are cooling off after driving. Do you also hear that crackling sound of metal parts cooling, too? Looks like nothing to be concerned about.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #6

Yes, that's exactly the smell.. It was just more pronounced the past few days... similar to a hot steam iron... And the crackling of the cool down...

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #7

Porsche also puts that stuff on the engine, I can't remember what it is called. It is the tan/golden colored stuff you see and I think that also contributes to the smell you are talking about. Anyone know what that is called, I can't remember what they call that.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:27 PM   #8

That stuff on the engine is called cosmoline. I believe it gives off a smell too. Hope that helps.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #9

A long time ago I posted these shots of what turned out to be cosmoline... just in case you're wondering what it looks like and where Porsche applies it on the Boxster.