Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Garage
cracking windows in hot weather?

Hello, Im a fairly new 986 owner and have a habit of leaving the windows cracked when I park. (keeps the interior cooler when parked outside and the air fresh when parked inside)

On the 986 when I tap the window controls they just go all the way up or down.
Quickly tapping the opposite button does not do anything for a second or so requiring me to roll the windows most of the way down and interrupt them at the correct time as they go up.
Getting the size of the gap where I want it usually takes a few tries...

Does anyone know any trick or anything to crack the windows with a bit less hassle?
Thanks

tzincp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

My Immobilizer is possessed by a demon...... It does what you are asking all on it's own.

It will even roll the window down an inch or two after you walk away for more ventilation.

I'll trade ya
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

Garage
Unlatch the roof and relatch it. Unlatching will roll the windows down a bit and on my car they don't roll up again when I relatch.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
A quick tap on the window switch engages auto-down or auto-up. Press and hold to bypass the auto function.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Unlatch the roof and relatch it. Unlatching will roll the windows down a bit and on my car they don't roll up again when I relatch.
Interesting. When I latch the top back, my windows automatically go all the way up. Even if I have the driver's side door open, which ticks me off as I then have to push the window down button, close the door and then push the window up button. If I don't do this, the window is too high and will hit the top when closing the door. So just make sure I have the doors closed when I latch the top back.

As for the OP's question, I just tinker with it until it's where I want it like you do, but as Desefrion mentions, press and hold to bypass the auto function, although that usually still takes the window down too far also. Porsche put some fast motors on these windows lol.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Yeah, that's not right.
Proper function is that the windows should roll back up when the top latch is closed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #7

Garage
Solution?

Ok, got it I think: using the "comfort function" that allows you to roll the windows up or down with the key from outside the car (drivers side)
you can nudge both windows down the same amount after getting out of the car. If you let them down too far you can roll them back up together and try again. Perfect.

KRAM36 is right, when I hold down the switch long enough to be able to simply let go,
the windows have gone down much to far for my taste.
When I latch the top the windows roll up all the way when the doors are closed and up to the stopping point when open.

This got me thinking- Im sure I could make an arduino thing that goes in parallel with the window switches and uses timing to put the windows in predetermined locations-
would anyone be interested in a single press button that places the windows in a pre-determined position? Ex: perfectly cracked.

Perhaps a remote or a timer that would crack the windows at a perticular time or use the rain sensor to put the windows up...

This should be a fairly simple DIY
Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah, that's not right.
Proper function is that the windows should roll back up when the top latch is closed.
My '99s windows don't go up when the roof is latched, but all the later cars do. I just assumed it was an improvement they made in the later years..?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
My '99s windows don't go up when the roof is latched, but all the later cars do. I just assumed it was an improvement they made in the later years..?
They go back up on my mine, which is a '99.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I believe it is a different relay in the later years that puts the windows up. It can be retrofitted to an older boxster if you like.

EDIT: this is incorrect. thank you particlewave

Last edited by tzincp; 04-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzincp View Post
I believe it is a different relay in the later years that puts the windows up. It can be retrofitted to an older boxster if you like.
All window activity is controlled by the immobilizer (that applies to every 986, 1997-2004).
I'm not sure which years or immobilizers will roll the windows up, but I know that the part # on my M535 immobilizer is the same as a 535 from a 2004.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.