Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

97 Boxster "Thumping"

Hey guys, I have a 97 Boxster I'm getting ready to sell after about 6 years of ownership. For a while, I wasn't driving it on a regular basis, so I was going out and starting it weekly to keep it in running condition. I noticed that the battery was draining on a regular basis, often after only a day or two.

I put in a new battery and as soon as I touched the positive lead to the batter I got a loud "knocking" sound from the back end of the car. I went ahead and attached the lead and went back to determine where the noise was coming from. It's under the trunk section and it sounds like a jackhammer it's so loud. This is without the car even running.

Any ideas what this might be? Car fires right up and runs with no problem, but the knocking continues and does not change.

thanks,

Ken

KConn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KConn23 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 97 Boxster I'm getting ready to sell after about 6 years of ownership. For a while, I wasn't driving it on a regular basis, so I was going out and starting it weekly to keep it in running condition. I noticed that the battery was draining on a regular basis, often after only a day or two.

I put in a new battery and as soon as I touched the positive lead to the batter I got a loud "knocking" sound from the back end of the car. I went ahead and attached the lead and went back to determine where the noise was coming from. It's under the trunk section and it sounds like a jackhammer it's so loud. This is without the car even running.

Any ideas what this might be? Car fires right up and runs with no problem, but the knocking continues and does not change.

thanks,

Ken
I'll take a stab and sugggest that something is going on with the rear spoiler. That's my only guess. Pull the fuse for the rear spoiler and try to reconnect the battery.

You might just have to start pulling fuses until you identify what is the knocking.

I'll assume the key is not in the ignition.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

You nailed it!

That was it Starter986. I appreciate the suggestion. Now I just have to figure out why it's making he noise.
KConn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

starter jamming..

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain , knocking