986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   PPI from the sellers side (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74941-ppi-sellers-side.html)

kk2002s 04-04-2019 08:03 AM

PPI from the sellers side

Ok, I did not have a PPI on my boxster but I did have one done on a car I was looking at for my daughter several years ago. It was a used car dealer, they let me drive it home to my local mechanic and I returned it a few hours later. It was a royal pain in the seat. I didn't buy as mechanic basically confirmed what I saw and felt, that the car was worn out and driven in a lot of salty winters.

Now as a private sale, what would I have to deal with as a seller to someone who wanted to have a PPI done on my car.

I don't think I'm going to let someone drive it to their mechanic and then have some unknown mechanic mess around with my car and the perspective buyer drives it back to me.

I don't particularly want to drive it to some unknown mechanic, they mess around with my car while I wait and then I drive home.

I understand the importance to many of a PPI but for a private sale I'm unclear how the seller assists in the process

steved0x 04-04-2019 09:06 AM

For the 2 cars I've bought from private sellers (986 Boxster and 987.2 Cayman) the seller took it to a shop of my choice (but that the seller agreed on as well, no sketchy places), the shop did the PPI, and in the case of the 986 I flew in and drove the car home directly from that shop (who I had then hired to do the IMS bearing).

If either seller had balked at taking it to a shop for a PPI I would have walked.

Do you have a trusted Porsche shop in your area? If I sold a car I would be happy to take it to a shop, but I would be the one driving it there and back and not the potential buyer (who would be welcome to take test drives, but with me in the car :) )

Ciao 04-04-2019 09:07 AM

1. Negotiate!
2. Sell As is.
3. If buyer wants PPI charge the cost for it and you can then have it as a negotiating tactic for future potential buyers.

husker boxster 04-04-2019 10:33 AM

As a prospective buyer, I would be leery if a seller didn't want to take his car somewhere for a PPI. I deal with a little higher priced cars, but never balk if someone wants a PPI for one of my WD cars. I have a couple of places to suggest but let them decide where they want to take it and they do the initial contact with the mechanic and pay for the PPI. I drive the car to the location, not the buyer. They can meet me there if they want to. A lower-priced PPI should take at least a 1/2 day while a deluxe PPI takes a full day. I consider the time invested on a PPI part of the effort to sell a car.

mikefocke 04-04-2019 05:23 PM

Buyer pays even if he doesn't buy. Seller benefits because he gets documentation on the car's condition and can correct any defects and point to that when again offering. The buyer and seller should both be there to receive the same debriefing and receive the same documentation. The buyer and seller should have agreed on a price prior to the PPI and only if the PPI reveals something major is the sale voided. So the seller has the incentive to PPI to complete the sale.

For me the PPI revealed nothing major, just a bunch of minor things the mechanic and I agreed should be done but on my nickle. The sale went through at the agreed on price. I wanted the PPI even though I had driven a Boxster for the 4 months prior.

I think the seller drove the car to the mechanic. There was no question he knew Porsches, he had a half dozen Porsche race cars in various stages of race prep.

thstone 04-04-2019 07:58 PM

eBay.

Sold "as-is" with no inspections. You might not get the highest price, but it will be mostly hassle free.

There is no easier way to sell a car in 7 days.

MYRX 04-05-2019 02:23 AM

In my opinion getting a PPI is only predominate in the Porsche world. Being a former corvette owner for twenty years having even raced corvettes, we never had inspections done by shops when purchasing. Yes, I owned many trouble free corvettes. So, what does that say about Porsche and it's reliability? I now own and daily drive a 2000 S that I enjoy. But quite frankly all this IMS crap, (which is true) and I had mine replaced for peace of mind, almost convinced me not to even consider owning one. When I sell, I will be damned if I even consider going thru the PPI ritual. I take great care of my car and I document all my service. If that's not enough, then would be Porsche buyer can walk!

Brian in Tucson 04-05-2019 06:59 AM

If you are the seller, you drive the car to the shop of the buyer's choice. Have somebody bring you home. Buyer pays. If buyer wants the car, they can pick it up at the shop. I bought an 01 without a PPI, it was a mess but cheap. Shoulda passed on it.

No big deal. No need to act like a provincial rube, either.

Brian in Tucson 04-05-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 592360)
eBay.

Sold "as-is" with no inspections. You might not get the highest price, but it will be mostly hassle free.

There is no easier way to sell a car in 7 days.

Used cars sold by private parties are all as is, unless both parties agree to something else. I wouldn't buy a car from you, my right to information (PPI) is important to me.:troll:

JFP in PA 04-05-2019 07:29 AM

A PPI at a mutually agreed shop is always the right of the buyer. From time to time, we have done PPI's that were paid for by the seller if the car failed for a catastrophic reason, which only happened once with a pristine 996 that had a 2.7L Boxster engine in it rather than what was supposed to be in the car. The seller protested that one, but did pay for the work.

thstone 04-05-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 592376)
I wouldn't buy a car from you, my right to information (PPI) is important to me.:troll:

I understand.

The OP seemed to be lamenting the hassle of working with buyers to arrange PPI's (and remember, it can require more than one PPI before a car is actually sold).

My only point was that eBay is a viable alternative marketplace to avoid the PPI hassle (for the seller). And yes, that might mean that some buyers won't consider your car but it also means that they won't use the PPI to try to negotiate a lower price. There is a bit of ying and yang to various car selling strategies.

Sorry if it came across as anything else.

kk2002s 04-05-2019 11:01 AM

Do not want to start a debate on this. It is a hassle for the seller even though its typically the buyers $$$ responsibility. It seems to have become the expected norm as most advise to have one done when looking to buy.
It also seems that is what would be required to get the top $$$$. To bypass this step would mean less $$$ through an E bay or Trade-in situation.

Thanks all