986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rotor rubbing (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74863-rotor-rubbing.html)

Tailwind 03-25-2019 04:58 AM

Rotor rubbing

Hi All
Been working on the suspension. Replaced struts, top mounts and strut bearings.
After doing the fronts, I saw the drop links were shot and replaced them. This fixed clanking going over bumps, so decided to do the rears.
The seller gave me a pair of new Porsche rear rotors and Ate parking brake pads, so I fitted those as well. After all that, the right rear rotor is rubbing lightly on the backing plate.
the sound is a light tinny scraping that is detected loudest if you listen at the rear of the plate. to eliminate any other issue, I'll mention this:
Ended up removing the caliper and parking brake shoes.
The hub is quiet.
I swapped the rotor from the left rear for sanity check, same noise. I put one of the old rotors on, same noise!
We used the alternate method of taking the wheel nuts off when installing the rear struts, but my buddy (retired Porsche mechanic) had sold his big torque wrench, so he estimated the torque (this guy knows what he's doing), and I'll mention that there was no scraping after that. I have not taken it for alignment yet, as I'll do that after r/r the stiffening plate after changing the trans fluid.

Any wisdom? As always, I appreciate the forum members' advice.

TIA

JayG 03-25-2019 05:21 AM

Are you referring to the dirt shield behind the rotor?
If it's that, it must have gotten bent, just bend it back

Tailwind 03-25-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 591651)
Are you referring to the dirt shield behind the rotor?
If it's that, it must have gotten bent, just bend it back

Thanks Jay, but the shield is not bent. It appears to be rubbing on the lip:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1553527684.jpg

steved0x 03-25-2019 09:48 AM

So you're saying it fixed after torquing down the axle nut some more? If so, that makes sense, if the wheel bearing isn't firmly clamped it can let the hub (and therefore rotor) wander and touch things that it would not if it did not have play.

One of the warnings in the shop manual is not to roll the car if the axle nuts are not torqued to spec, because it can damage the wheel bearing, so that would be something to keep an eye on, if you did drive it any.

I didn't use a torque wrench either, just used a long breaker bar parallel to the ground and stood on on it a certain distance from the end based on my weight, I don't have the formula handy but it is easily found.

Tailwind 03-25-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 591693)
So you're saying it fixed after torquing down the axle nut some more? If so, that makes sense, if the wheel bearing isn't firmly clamped it can let the hub (and therefore rotor) wander and touch things that it would not if it did not have play.

One of the warnings in the shop manual is not to roll the car if the axle nuts are not torqued to spec, because it can damage the wheel bearing, so that would be something to keep an eye on, if you did drive it any.

I didn't use a torque wrench either, just used a long breaker bar parallel to the ground and stood on on it a certain distance from the end based on my weight, I don't have the formula handy but it is easily found.

Steve
To be clear, my buddy and I used the same technique you did. I stood on the brakes and he torqued it with a long bar. I did not rub until I worked on the brakes. I have not yet had the torque verified, which I plan to do either with the alignment shop or my indy.
Is it possible that the nut is too tight causing this?

Thanks

mikesz 03-26-2019 06:31 AM

Have the same problem. When I did suspension rebuild I pulled on the dust shield helped a little bit but every now and then I still hear it. Gave up trying to fix it.

steved0x 03-26-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailwind (Post 591703)
Is it possible that the nut is too tight causing this?

Thanks

In my opinion no. I have had to bend those shields out of the way, it is easy to bump them when doing work, so it might just be a random event that bent the shield...

Tailwind 03-26-2019 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. Saturday, coming home from errands I could hear it on the freeway fairly loud. Sunday is when I took it all apart and reassembled it. Yesterday, I went out and it is much quieter. Next time I get it up in the air, I'll check the shield again.

dbeesley1 08-12-2023 10:10 AM

Brake shield rubbing on rotor

My problem started when I put new slotted rotors on my 98 booster. I don’t have the old ones. Should I roll the dice on ditching my fancy rotors for another pair or
Take a die grinder to the area on the rotor b
put it back together to see if there is side to side play with the wheel on?
Any other input/recommendations?
Thankshttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1691863810.jpg