Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Stripping paint from hardback Sport Seats

Can anyone suggest what is a safe but effective product for stripping the textured silver paint off of the seat backs (and other interior pieces) ??

I've stripped a lot of paint off of steel parts, but not plastic.

TIA

max

maxnine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

The material and paint used hardback seats are similar to those in the center console, aren't they? If so, take a look at some of the threads about painting center consoles -

In this thread, one person mentions soaking the part in hot water in a bath tub for a while and then using steel wool to remove the paint. That person said it wasn't difficult to remove paint that way.

There is more information in this thread too.

I don't think there is any paint stripper that is safe for plastic, but I could be wrong about that.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

After a little research and experimentation I found that when the silver paint (coating) was warmed up I could scrape it off with my fingernail.
Ended up putting it a bathtub of hot water (I'm single) and used a hard plastic scraper to peel off the rubbery paint. Then some steel wool to get whatever little was left behind. Probably about 30-45 minutes per seat.
These scrapers are very hard plastic. Made for scraping gaskets and carbon off of aluminum heads etc without gouging the aluminum. A scraper that got a little soft from the hot water didn't work well.