986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster Insurance, Haggerty, Others? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74791-boxster-insurance-haggerty-others.html)

BoxMann 03-16-2019 07:16 PM

Boxster Insurance, Haggerty, Others?

I recently bought a 2004 Boxster S and insured it with GEICO, my company who insures two other cars for me. It's gonna cost me almost $1,000 a year. But it seems I can get a better deal elsewhere since it's a 2nd car, I plan to only drive it 2k - 3k miles a year, and some companies specialize in this type of insurance offering much lower rates.

I did a search on this but nothing very recent came up.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

thstone 03-16-2019 07:54 PM

I had Haggerty when my 911SC was my third car. Limited miles, agreed value, and the premium was really cheap.

Now its my daily driver so I transferred it back to my regular insurance.

BoxMann 03-16-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 591113)
I had Haggerty when my 911SC was my third car. Limited miles, agreed value, and the premium was really cheap.

Now its my daily driver so I transferred it back to my regular insurance.

What does "agreed value" actually mean? I've heard that term, but how does it actually work?

Deserion 03-16-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 591114)
What does "agreed value" actually mean? I've heard that term, but how does it actually work?

Basically that’s the figure both parties agree on when it comes to how much money can be sunk into the car for repairs, or in a total loss.

I have my Boxster and 911 on a Leland-West policy with 6000 and 3000 miles per year respectively, with occasional commuting. Boxster is at $12k and 911 at $55k, a touch over $91/mo.

MrBen 03-16-2019 08:10 PM

Car gets totaled you get the agreed value if everything works out. Insurance companies always have a way to weezel the customer when it comes time to collect. I think I declared 12k for mine with Grundy. There are some limitations but it's a pretty good savings. I had a chick run a red light and totaled my caddie back in August. My insurance on my other vehicles just went up 30 percent because of my accident. I at 61 have never had a single ticket . Time to look for a new company I guess.

Starter986 03-17-2019 04:40 AM

Mercury Insurance. Try them. Seriously.

morgal48 03-17-2019 05:30 AM

LelandWest offers agreed value policies. My policy allows 5k mi/yr and was just under 50% of the cost with Progressive, Farmers or Hagerty. They do offer different max mileage option policies.

Brian in Tucson 03-17-2019 06:59 AM

My experience with Geico is that they are never cheap. I had Progressive, but they went up a lot. Now I have Hartford, which is offered thru AARP. Don't remember what it costs, but it was better than Geico or Progressive. A lot of it varies by where you live, and what the laws are in your state.

Blackcloud 03-17-2019 11:54 AM

I had American Collectors for my 1967 MGB, then they would not take my 04 Boxster. I switched to Hagerty for both because my driving record is perfect, and they took on the Boxster. I also added a 2002 Yamaha motorcycle as well. All are agreed value. I love Hagerty. They get involved with the sport.

Racer Boy 03-17-2019 02:53 PM

My 2002 Boxster 2.7 is insured through Hagerty. Less than 5K miles a year, and the premium is $196 for full coverage per year in Seattle.

BoxMann 03-17-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 591140)
My experience with Geico is that they are never cheap. I had Progressive, but they went up a lot. Now I have Hartford, which is offered thru AARP. Don't remember what it costs, but it was better than Geico or Progressive. A lot of it varies by where you live, and what the laws are in your state.

I switched over to GEICO about 5 years ago from Allstate. You know their commercials, "Save 15% in 15 minutes." Well, I saved 40%. My 6 mo premium went from $750 to $450. And I have a squeaky clean record, probably don't deserve it, but I do. I've been extremely happy with GEICO, their customer service is unmatched. But I'm looking at alternatives because Boxsters used as weekend toys could come in under a different category, and GEICO doesn't have a different category for that, but other carriers, like Haggerty and others, have specialized coverage for that.

L1ttleBastard 03-25-2019 08:40 AM

I have JC Taylor
Agreed value of $8K.
$106 a year, no deductible, good coverage, and more.

A8ked 03-25-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 591107)
I recently bought a 2004 Boxster S and insured it with GEICO, my company who insures two other cars for me. It's gonna cost me almost $1,000 a year. But it seems I can get a better deal elsewhere since it's a 2nd car, I plan to only drive it 2k - 3k miles a year, and some companies specialize in this type of insurance offering much lower rates.

I did a search on this but nothing very recent came up.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

I have had my 300SL, Carrera 4 and Boxster all insured on an agreed value policy with Haggerty for several years. My premium for all three is $1100. annually.
The Haggerty magazine is an added bonus and one of my favorite publications.

My DD cars are insured with State Farm. State Farm's quote for the 300SL, Carrera 4 and Boxster was more than double the Haggerty premium.

I found out the State Farm agent has his collector car with Haggerty.

Ciao 03-25-2019 09:49 AM

Considering uninsured motorists, liability, medical, etc. USAA offers under $400 a year, but I drive the P car only 6 months during the summer and store it during the winter.

Sveach756 03-25-2019 12:48 PM

As someone else said State Farm ends up getting you a Hagerty quote cheaper than directly calling them. I have my diesel truck with State Farm, when I called to take my turbo off that policy I told them I had also gotten a boxster and wanted an agreed value policy. They offered to make some phone calls and got me hagerty for 300$ cheaper a year. I have my values at 30k and 45k with no mileage limit and pay $1880 a year, which is only a few hundred more than a non agreed value policy.
Shawn