986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Questions before buying my first Porsche (986) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74658-questions-before-buying-my-first-porsche-986-a.html)

tzincp 02-27-2019 12:20 AM

Questions before buying my first Porsche (986)
 
Hello all,
This is my first post- I am looking at buying a 986 as stated in the title, there are a couple of areas of concern that I have questions about:

I have my eyes set on a 2001 S model. This particular car has the litronic headlights with the "pop up" headlight and windshield washers, these do not work on both sides.
I have been looking for the part online, and the Porsche OEM part seems to be $200 per side.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/986M/POR_986M_ELLITE_pg6.htm#item22 (from pelican parts)
Is there another way to do this? I see that this is a bosh part, is it possible to order directly from bosh without the Porsche tax?
After about an hour of googling I was unable to find a Bosch part number?

Another question: in this car on the passenger's side seat controls, the plastic piece that is used to control the lower seat's position has fallen off at some point.
The electrical switches underneath are still intact and functioning.
Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole switch panel for $100 on ebay. (this car is equipped with the 8 way power seats)

Finally: The maintenance records indicate that the IMS flange was replaced, but the bearing is not mentioned at all.
As in: the IMS flange is charged for as a part used but the bearing is not charged for or mentioned anywhere.
What do you make of this little curiosity?

Thanks for the help, I hope to come out of the shadows and join the community soon :)
:cheers:

flmont 02-27-2019 03:15 PM

Iam going thru a somewhat painful purchase of a 02' with the same info on the shop's invoice,Iam told that they just changed the outer part due to it was leaking,and the shop didn't bother to talk to the customer( whom I am buying the car from).about the bearing issue,according the the seller they never mentioned it to him,..then the shop guy said customer didn't want to change it so in my case,who knows,..But Iam about to pose a question about good emission numbers and the bearing issue,..So stay tuned..Good luck with your purchase !! Frank

JFP in PA 02-27-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzincp (Post 589818)
Hello all,
This is my first post- I am looking at buying a 986 as stated in the title, there are a couple of areas of concern that I have questions about:

I have my eyes set on a 2001 S model. This particular car has the litronic headlights with the "pop up" headlight and windshield washers, these do not work on both sides.
I have been looking for the part online, and the Porsche OEM part seems to be $200 per side.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/986M/POR_986M_ELLITE_pg6.htm#item22 (from pelican parts)
Is there another way to do this? I see that this is a bosh part, is it possible to order directly from bosh without the Porsche tax?
After about an hour of googling I was unable to find a Bosch part number?

Another question: in this car on the passenger's side seat controls, the plastic piece that is used to control the lower seat's position has fallen off at some point.
The electrical switches underneath are still intact and functioning.
Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole switch panel for $100 on ebay. (this car is equipped with the 8 way power seats)

Finally: The maintenance records indicate that the IMS flange was replaced, but the bearing is not mentioned at all.
As in: the IMS flange is charged for as a part used but the bearing is not charged for or mentioned anywhere.
What do you make of this little curiosity?

Thanks for the help, I hope to come out of the shadows and join the community soon :)
:cheers:

Porsche changed out the IMS flange when they started to leak while still under warranty. They did not change the bearing as their position at the time was that you could not do that without taking the engine apart, something they now agree is possible since the aftermarket has changed out more than 25,000 of them.

tzincp 02-27-2019 10:52 PM

Alright, that makes sense about the IMS flange JFP, thanks.
This was done within the past year by a reputable independent shop at the time of a clutch change. I wonder why they didnt do the IMS for another $80 ish in parts for an equivalent bearing...
The invoice states that they changed the "Main Camshaft Seal" at the same time. Is this referring to the RMS?

Thanks for the well wishes and good luck on your own purchase flmont

maytag 02-28-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzincp (Post 589877)

The invoice states that they changed the "Main Camshaft Seal" at the same time. Is this referring to the RMS?

Handwritten? Is it possible it says "main crankshaft seal"?
That's the RMS. If it does say "camshaft" I'm guessing either a typo/goof, or written by someone in an administrative position, not the tech, haha.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thstone 03-01-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzincp (Post 589877)
This was done within the past year by a reputable independent shop at the time of a clutch change. I wonder why they didnt do the IMS for another $80 ish in parts for an equivalent bearing...

With at least a 90% never-failure rate, a lot of owners don't worry about it. And the most popular replacement bearing from LN is close to $800, not $80.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzincp (Post 589877)
The invoice states that they changed the "Main Camshaft Seal" at the same time. Is this referring to the RMS?

As Maytag said, I'm sure they meant Main CRANKshaft Seal which is the same as the rear main seal (RMS).

tzincp 03-03-2019 06:32 PM

Thanks to all who have helped me out here. I am now a brand new P986 owner! :)
Hopefully I have many enjoyable miles to come.:dance:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1551666680.jpg

dghii 03-03-2019 07:23 PM

That looks great!! Congratulations and enjoy!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website