Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Bought wrecked 98 Boxster

Hello all, I recently bought 1998 Boxster with what appears to be light damage to the front. I love doing projects and bought several project cars of copart before.

I will share my DIYs here. I am also looking for your feedback. Based on what you see in the pictures, what will need to be replaced? Of course once I get the car I'll take stuff apart to see what will need to be replaced as well.

Thanks

pahanorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

Garage
is the frame straight?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Won't know what needs to be replaced until you pull it apart a little bit. I expect that most of the damage is to the aluminum suspension parts and the underlying steel will still be straight enough.

I'd expect to replace the steering rack, maybe the aluminum subframe, entire right suspension, complete right radiator unit, front plastics, hammer out the tub a bit.

Fun project. I wouldn't expect much gain from flipping it, but as a project and driver it should work out well.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

It’s hard to say from the picture, but In addition to a bumper cover you might neeed a radiator, a/c condenser, ductwork pieces, various brackets and mounts, horns and some suspension pieces. Hopefully there won’t be any more damage from being lifted onto a trailer with a forklift. Check with Woody-Itsnotanova for used parts you need. Good luck and please post updates!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahanorlando View Post
what will need to be replaced?
The amber turn signal lenses.

Welcome to the forum.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 AM   #6

i bought a similar Boxster with front end damage for $3k. my radiators were undamaged; just replaced hood, one fender, headlights, and front bumper cover.

you'll have a nice cheap car if you can DIY.
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #7

From the one picture it looks like you'll need the following. Whole right radiator assembly. That includes the air duct, condenser, radiator, mounting bracket and maybe the radiator fan too. The fans seem to survive hits like that better than those other parts. Obviously you'll need the bumper cover, headlight corner trim and the side marker light. I'd need to see more picture to get a better assessment. Did the wheel get hit hard? Is the wheel facing the same way as the other side? If it's still facing the correct way and didn't get shoved back, then you're suspension is probably okay but it wouldn't hurt to get an alignment. Now if the wheel did get hit hard, things that could need replacing are all the suspension pieces on that side and the steering rack. The steering rack on these cars are pretty reliable but they don't take well to getting hit. Another part to be careful of is the upright. They will look like they're good and people reuse them. When they go to get the car aligned is when they find out that they should have replaced the upright too. I don't even sell used ones that had any contact during a wreck. Not worth the risk. I'd also suggest replacing the hub bearing while you have the upright off. The wheel might be bent so I suggest taking it to your local tire store to see. I have all the parts you'll need to fix that except the bumper cover. You can text me at 512-925-9171. Woody
Old 02-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The amber turn signal lenses.

Welcome to the forum.
Boy-O-Boy did you open a can of worms. This will add months to the project deciding Clear, Amber, Clear, Amber on and on and on.

Good luck and hope to see another boxster saved and back on the road
Old 02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #9

That really doesn't look too bad tbh, might get lucky with just some basic stuff. I ended up finding a website through Ebay that sold almost everything I needed to get mine repaired.
Unknown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Save the 4 wheels and put a new car on them
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Save the 4 wheels and put a new car on them
Thanks, that would be a really good idea, but the front passenger's side wheel might be bad. lol
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #12

Thank you all. The vehicle's price was only $1500, but due to copart fees and shipping it came up to $2900. I miscalculated a bit, but should be still a good deal, unless there are some hidden damages etc.

The vehicle will be shipped to me (FL) from Georgia. I'll keep you updated on everything.

As far as amber or clear, I am still deciding lol. I am thinking about keeping a stock look, but we'll see.

Also, as far as bumper cover, from what I read, it is better to get a used stock bumper. What years will be compatible? Any year you prefer? Thanks
Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #13

any bumper cover from 97-04 including the S model.
I had previously purchased an aftermarket fiberglass front bumper cover and thought this project would be a perfect time to use it. Wrong. the fitment was horrible and it would require a lot of work even to be usable. I bought a used aero front bumper cover for $350 shipped and repainted it myself.
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #14

Hello everybody, got the boxster this midnight. Damage is a bit worse than I expected, took hour and a half to take it off the truck lol

Here is my first video blog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnrIsGiTKw

Never done blog before lol. So couple things, circuit boards are missing on keys. Actually one of them also is missing chip, its pretty much just blank key. Another one has chip but no circuit board. As far as I understand, its really expensive to get and set up circuit board, right?

I'll try to move my car into backyard later today, but it will be really tough with that damage.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #15

Here is my second video blog where I am trying to move boxster to my backyard lol

https://youtu.be/5HYia9h2RrQ