986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clunk under seat on acceleration and deceleration (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74575-clunk-under-seat-acceleration-deceleration.html)

Shawn Stanford 02-15-2019 07:15 AM

Clunk under seat on acceleration and deceleration

So, after a fruitless search, I present this...

My '01 with Tip has started emitting a single, distinct clunk or thump from under the general area of the passenger seat on acceleration or deceleration.

Recent work:
  • All four struts.
  • Front lower control arms.
  • Front downlinks.
  • Front ball joints.
  • Front brake discs.
  • Coils, plugs, and tubes.
  • Alignment.

I did all the work, and my first thought was a loose control arm. But the car was aligned by the shop my indy uses, so I assume if there was something loose in the suspension they would have found it.

I found a post in a 996 forum that suggested motor mounts, but that doesn't seem like it would generate a noise under the passenger seat. I'm not noticing any other issues related to this, but it's clearly not supposed to happen.

Any input appreciated.

rathayes 02-15-2019 08:13 AM

this might sound silly ... but sometimes i have a drink or metal coffee mug that finds it's way under the seat. it's not carpeted, it's exposed metal under the seat. and it definitely makes a noise if i accelerate or stop quickly. just a thought.

SlowernOlder 02-15-2019 08:37 AM

Ft engine mount?

Racer Boy 02-15-2019 09:21 AM

It sounds to me like a rear trailing arm. The symptoms you describe are classic "trailing arm bushings worn out" noises.

Those are relatively easy to replace, and you probably won't need an alignment, either.

Htci 02-15-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rathayes (Post 589105)
this might sound silly ... but sometimes i have a drink or metal coffee mug that finds it's way under the seat. it's not carpeted, it's exposed metal under the seat. and it definitely makes a noise if i accelerate or stop quickly. just a thought.

It was a golf ball for me! Worn trailing arm noise most noticeable while coasting (little to no engine load) at low speeds while driving over minor road imperfections.

Spinnaker 02-16-2019 04:11 AM

I would put my money on the front motor mount. Had the same sound in mine, but it was 11 years ago.
Have someone watch the exhaust tips at the rear of the car when you accelerate and decelerate. They will rise and fall as the slop in the front mount allows the whole motor to rotate up and down. The culprit is the rubber bushing in the mount that deteriorates and allows the two pieces of the mount to slop around. Very common problem with the 986.

NewArt 02-16-2019 06:42 AM

+1 on front engine mount

geetee 02-16-2019 06:47 PM

yep engine mount. I actually bought one of those function first poly inserts but when I removed mine the whole thing fell apart. Had to buy a whole new mount.
Put it in D thump, put it in R thump

BoxMann 02-17-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 589142)
+1 on front engine mount

+1 on the +1

Shawn Stanford 02-18-2019 05:52 PM

Okay, front engine mount seems to be the consensus. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Further updates as events warrant.

Shawn Stanford 02-20-2019 06:28 AM

So, I was driving the car in to work this morning and while rolling along at 30, I put the car into neutral and mashed on the accelerator and HOLY CRAP SOMEONE JUST HIT THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER!

So, yeah, I'm in agreement: Motor mounts. I'll add that to the list (AOS, front struts, tail light bulb holders).

This car is one project after another.

Which is actually a lot of the fun of owning it.

elgyqc 02-20-2019 08:20 AM

Can these motor mounts be rebuilt using urethane? I just happen to have some urethane laying around after having rebuilt my 924S transmission mounts.

Shawn Stanford 02-20-2019 11:47 AM

Maybe? But a new center is only $20.

Racer Boy 02-20-2019 05:19 PM

Be careful if changing the material in the mount! A much stiffer material will likely transmit a LOT more vibration and noise to the passenger compartment.

I've read of people that changed to stiffer mounts, and hated the car after that.

JayG 02-21-2019 05:33 AM

If the water pump has not been changed, its one of those "While you are in there" things.
It also makes it easier to change the motor mount.

You may want to put in a low temp thermostat as well. You don't need to replace the thermostat housing.

A good place to buy the WP and thermostat is (ware house 33 auto dot com) (remove spaces) Put RENNLIST in the discount code place and you get an additional 10% off

Starter986 02-21-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 589425)
If the water pump has not been changed, its one of those "While you are in there" things.
It also makes it easier to change the motor mount.

You may want to put in a low temp thermostat as well. You don't need to replace the thermostat housing.

A good place to buy the WP and thermostat is (ware house 33 auto dot com) (remove spaces) Put RENNLIST in the discount code place and you get an additional 10% off

+1

I changed my water pump when replacing the motor mount. It made reaching those WP bolts at ~2 and 4 o'clock ridiculously gravy. Definately a "while you're in there".

Shawn Stanford 02-28-2019 04:20 AM

Okay, good call on the water pump. Thanks.