Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #1

Please help, -smoke?

I just got a 2000 Boxster S with 35k mi. It has been maintained by the local dealer and even had the 60k svc done at 24k. Last oil change was 3k ago and will be done soon.

My question: Yesterday morning I took it out for a 15 minute drive with no problems. Then I went to fire it up later in the afternoon, and quite a bit of smoke came from the exhaust (white-smelled like exhaust). This had never happened before and the engine sounded normal. I immediately checked for any warning lights and shut off the engine. There were none. I double checked the fluids and all was well. I restarted a few minutes later and it did not happen again. I drove for about 20 min with no problems.

Anyone ever have this happen? Possible causes?

EB847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
bmussatti

EB847, this question gets asked about once per month. Do a search, and you'll see this is a pretty common occurance with the Boster's flat six engine design. Some Forum members even think the smoke at start-up looks cool!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks! (glad to hear)
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
bmussatti

EB847, please do some searches, and additional reading. It could be nothing...or it could indicate bigger issues like the oil seperator or spark plug tubes.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #5

Are all the seperators doomed or do some never need replacing? Same question with the rms...
Old 09-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #6

Sometimes they smoke at start-up. Yeh, really, they do. The manual also notes that they use oil. To use the electronic oil gauge at start-up, turn the ingition one click, wait 5 sec's until you've got a reading and, if the oil level looks ok, turn it over.

As Bmussatti noted, you see guys talking about it all the time. I think there is even a pic of the smoke around here somewhere.
Arona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arona
Sometimes they smoke at start-up. Yeh, really, they do. The manual also notes that they use oil. To use the electronic oil gauge at start-up, turn the ingition one click, wait 5 sec's until you've got a reading and, if the oil level looks ok, turn it over.

As Bmussatti noted, you see guys talking about it all the time. I think there is even a pic of the smoke around here somewhere.
Yes, here is the picture, from our in-house Technical Wizzard Rail26:

Caught the smoke!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB847
Are all the seperators doomed or do some never need replacing? Same question with the rms...
Personally, I believe all separators will eventually fail just because of the material. The rubber diaphram inside the separator is like any other. As it flaps back and forth, the rubber weakens and eventually a hole will develop. It happens in vacuum flaps and other such devices over time so it will probably end up a normal maintenance item.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote