986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Secondary Air Pump - Shows Not Ready in Durametric but No Codes?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74494-secondary-air-pump-shows-not-ready-durametric-but-no-codes.html)

brybart 01-31-2019 01:20 PM

Secondary Air Pump - Shows Not Ready in Durametric but No Codes??

I've recently replaced all four O2 sensors, disconnected the battery to reset ECU, after drive cycling and driving for 108 miles no codes, and in Durametic everything shows ready except for secondary air injection. I can activate the SAI pump in Durametric and I can hear it run. Do I need to drive a little more to get the SAI to ready status? Most of the information I've seen stated it switched to ready after 100 miles. But if I have to drive some more I won't be too upset :). Please let me know what the next steps could be?

Ottomotion 01-31-2019 02:11 PM

After reinstalling my engine I have the same problem. All systems are in Pass except SAI. I have been chasing vacuum problems and just replaced the vacuum reservoir. Hoping that finally does the trick. I have driven mine over 800 miles with no CEL, but the SAI system is still in Fail.
Since the SAI only really operates at start-up, I am hoping now its not a matter of miles logged so much as number of times started.

I dont think this is too helpful, but it felt good to vent.

kk2002s 01-31-2019 02:21 PM

Year and a half ago I had evap and sai monitors incomplete. Found out taking car to inspection. I broke down first time took
To shop and they fixed evap system. That monitor completed but sai still did not. Car passed as 1 monitor can be incomplete to still pass. For 6 months I periodically checked and sai still was always incomplete. Well for some reason last week I checked and I was blown away that the sai monitor was complete. Point is drive cycle may not do it for a long time. My sai always ran as expected, I suspected it could be weak o2 sensors

Ottomotion 01-31-2019 02:23 PM

I dont know if California will let the SAI slide.....

Tailwind 01-31-2019 04:37 PM

After tearing into the SAI recently, my first advice would be look at the vacuum line from the throttle body to the check valve...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74317-sai-question.html#post587059

lowpue 02-01-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brybart (Post 588320)
I've recently replaced all four O2 sensors, disconnected the battery to reset ECU, after drive cycling and driving for 108 miles no codes, and in Durametic everything shows ready except for secondary air injection. I can activate the SAI pump in Durametric and I can hear it run. Do I need to drive a little more to get the SAI to ready status? Most of the information I've seen stated it switched to ready after 100 miles. But if I have to drive some more I won't be too upset :). Please let me know what the next steps could be?

Is there a CEL? I had a CEL and check SAI with Durametric and the motor was running. Ultimately we found that the Y pipe in the vacuum lines was blocked by some debris. All fine now.

chrisg 02-02-2019 01:19 PM

I’ve been going through the same thing after battery replacement. No CEL, everything else went ready and good but SAI won’t. I’m not sure if it’s just that I’m not hitting the drive cycle correctly? It’s pretty impossible to do it perfect. I just don’t have anywhere to do a steady 50-60 mph for 15 minutes safely, and then repeat! I’ve done the start up and initial drive exactly every time for months and try to do the rest as close to perfect as possible but still not ready. Im afraid I’m going to get to the point of registration renewal and I will still have an I completed smog from last year. That’ll be interesting to see what DMV does at that point.

kk2002s 02-03-2019 04:56 AM

I know state inspections rules make it almost impossible to find out what they inspect and expect but if you CA guys can somehow find out if 1 monitor being incomplete (SAI) will still allow car to pass. Maybe calling local shop or dealer. Here in NJ we have state inspections stations (Free, well tax paid) or going to private (Pay a fee). Knowing this could relieve your stress level (Or add to it)

chrisg 02-03-2019 06:21 AM

CA does not allow any monitors to be not ready. I failed back in July and I’m still “incomplete” on my registration process so they never issued me a plate sticker or valid registration paperwork. They did keep my money so I consider it registered. I just carry all the paperwork showing that I paid my fees and the smog print out showing everything else passed and that it is only incomplete because of the one monitor. Hopefully some day it will go ready and then I will re-smog it.
There is probably some way to go through a referee process to prove the system works and get a pass, but I don’t have the time or desire to go that route yet.

brybart 02-24-2019 02:51 PM

Update - SAI shows ready

I checked with duramteric today and all systems are passed, it took at least 180 miles for driving and at least 10 starts to get the SAI to ready mode.