Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Rich

start up rattle

My 2000 boxster s has the cold start up rattle that many have reported. It only does it the first start of the day. I think it is a chain tensioner (all three are new) bleeding down or lifters bleeding down. Can an oil pressure release valve cause this noise? The noise is loud and i would really like to fix it. Verio cam tensioners and pads are also new.

Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

I had a similar noise after my car sat for a few days. In my case, replacing the filter housing (with it’s integrated valve) solved the problem. About $20 with filter from pelican last I checked.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich XTR View Post
My 2000 boxster s has the cold start up rattle that many have reported. It only does it the first start of the day. I think it is a chain tensioner (all three are new) bleeding down or lifters bleeding down. Can an oil pressure release valve cause this noise? The noise is loud and i would really like to fix it. Verio cam tensioners and pads are also new.
I would like to find a solution to this as well. I have replaced all three chain tensioners and the vario cam tensioners and pads (for other reasons). I have a new oil pressure release valve to install. If anything I think the startup rattle is worse after replacing the tensioners. I also installed a spin on oil filter adapter.

Dave in TX
2001S
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
I had a similar noise after my car sat for a few days. In my case, replacing the filter housing (with it’s integrated valve) solved the problem. About $20 with filter from pelican last I checked.
Interested to hear if this is something others have done. Filter housing as is in the plastic cartridge cover? From what I hear the lifter noise is normal due to the boxer engine design.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Cold start rattle is normal....

...it takes a few seconds for the tensioners to pump up with oil.

First Gen Miatas have a lifter tick on cold start up.

Nothing to worry about.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Mine does the same thing too. I’m still running the original tensioners, but I’m using an LN spin on adapter. If it sits a couple of days it does the rattle thing.
It almost seems like the early 5 chain engines make the start up rattle more than the later engines.
I cringe when it rattles, so I turn the key until it just fires and the shut it down. I do this three times to prime the tensioners and it doesn’t rattle.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAuOw7dvYw

Is this the noise that others are hearing and recommend don't worry? Assuming these cars didn't do this new...we can fix them.

Last edited by Rich XTR; 05-13-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Mine does the same thing too. I’m still running the original tensioners, but I’m using an LN spin on adapter. If it sits a couple of days it does the rattle thing.
It almost seems like the early 5 chain engines make the start up rattle more than the later engines.
I cringe when it rattles, so I turn the key until it just fires and the shut it down. I do this three times to prime the tensioners and it doesn’t rattle.
That’s seems more harsh than simply letting it do its thing. Mine “rattles” for about 1-2 seconds if that. Lots of chains to be moving around all at once. Not a worry.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #9

I get some lifter ticking for about a minute when I crank up. I read that this is inherit issue for flat 6 motors, do to the orientation the oil leaks down. Same reason they have a little smoking the oil collects in the cylinder when it sits awhile.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:

Is this the noise that others are hearing and recommend don't worry? Assuming these cars didn't do this new...we can fix them.
That is much harsher than what I get, that almost sounds like starter grinding.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:

Yes, pretty much. Hard to tell in the video.

Last edited by Geof3; 05-14-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

Garage
How long does it go?

How long are people having this start up rattle? I was having it for about a second, and then it goes away.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yes, pretty much. Hard to tell in the video.
Mine is doing the same thing too. Does anyone know if this is something that needs to be fixed, or is it just a character of the engine?
jayspeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #14

Check the two exhaust heat shields. They can rattle on start up.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I don't know if it was a "seat of my pants" experience... but when recently I replaced the pressure relief valve with the updated/upgraded part I swear that rattle was recognizably less audible, and has continued to be so. I drive the car about 3 times a month (for now).

Someone tell me I'm hearing things, or second my assumption.

Thank you.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayspeed999 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing too. Does anyone know if this is something that needs to be fixed, or is it just a character of the engine?
Yes it needs to be fixed, that's why Porsche reengineered the part in 2001 or 2002 with a integral spring to pre-tension the chain. there is a TSB that explains the issue & new part number. If you buy a new one from a dealer for a older Porsche you may get the original non-updated part.