986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What now? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74352-what-now.html)

flouese 01-11-2019 02:35 AM

What now?

Yesterday I changed out my Idle Air Control valve (IAVC) and cleaned the MAF. Buttoned it back up, started it up and was happy that my idle dropped for before the change of 1200 rpm to under 900 rpm. Drove it a few miles, parked it then went out a gain a few hours later. Drove to my destination a few miles down the road, stopped for an hour and drove home. Just as I turned the corner towards my house, the engine quit. All dash lights lit up and panic set in. I coasted to a stop, turned the key and it fired right up as normal. No CELs. Started it up and shut it down several times with now ill effects.

- Was this shut-down a fluke or a sign of bad things to come?

Recently completed a motor swap (84K for one that had 172K and metal particles in the oil filter) and put on a 1K miles since installation. No leaks (oil/air/vacuum) and the only issue was the high RPM at idle. Old IACV was carboned up and the flap did not move.

Quadcammer 01-11-2019 05:39 AM

odd, but eh, I wouldn't freak yet. see if it happens again. If there are no weird noises or strange driving characteristics, I would do nothing right now.

flouese 01-11-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 587201)
odd, but eh, I wouldn't freak yet. see if it happens again. If there are no weird noises or strange driving characteristics, I would do nothing right now.

There was no warning, noise or difference in how the car was driving preceding the shutdown. Perhaps it was the barrage of Sailor words I used as I was coasting that scared the issue away. Hopefully this was a "one-of" event.

Ottomotion 01-11-2019 07:38 AM

I had an experience I will share...

When I converted my Vanagon to Subaru power a few years back, I had a similar event. Driving it and then sudden loss of power...engine died and dash lights came on. It would start right up afterwards sometimes, sometimes it would crank and would not fire...but for some strange reason, it would eventually fire and be fine again. Drove me crazy.
I checked fuel pump, relays, fuses, etc...
I thought for sure I would have to pull the whole shebang out, pull the wire harness and recheck the modified bundle of wires one by one to make sure something wasn't done incorrectly.
I think it is our nature to assume the worst case scenario.
In my Suby Vanagon case, it ended up being a ground nut on the engine that I had failed to tighten down. Snugged it up w/10mm socket and its been great for many years.

Is that whats wrong with yours? Maybe...you did do an engine swap and there are a few ground points involved.

...but maybe not. Point is, don't panic. It could be anything...even something small and cheap.

flouese 01-11-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottomotion (Post 587214)
I had an experience I will share...

When I converted my Vanagon to Subaru power a few years back, I had a similar event. Driving it and then sudden loss of power...engine died and dash lights came on. It would start right up afterwards sometimes, sometimes it would crank and would not fire...but for some strange reason, it would eventually fire and be fine again. Drove me crazy.
I checked fuel pump, relays, fuses, etc...
I thought for sure I would have to pull the whole shebang out, pull the wire harness and recheck the modified bundle of wires one by one to make sure something wasn't done incorrectly.
I think it is our nature to assume the worst case scenario.
In my Suby Vanagon case, it ended up being a ground nut on the engine that I had failed to tighten down. Snugged it up w/10mm socket and its been great for many years.

Is that whats wrong with yours? Maybe...you did do an engine swap and there are a few ground points involved.

...but maybe not. Point is, don't panic. It could be anything...even something small and cheap.

Didn't give grounds a thought after the engine shut-down. I will go back and check all the ones I can. Thanks for the advise.