986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Pull handles in the trunks? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74346-pull-handles-trunks.html)

Ottomotion 01-09-2019 05:56 PM

Pull handles in the trunks?

Sorry, dont have a manual....So I humbly ask...what do they do?

I am tempted to pull them but am afraid I will screw something up.

NewArt 01-09-2019 06:02 PM

Step 1: Lock yourself in the trunk
Step 2: Pull handle
Step 3: see the light
:dance:

Deserion 01-09-2019 06:06 PM

Emergency releases. :)

Ottomotion 01-09-2019 06:08 PM

Seriously?

rfuerst911sc 01-10-2019 03:05 AM

They are emergency releases but designed more for dead battery situations vs. kidnapped and thrown in the trunks . When the battery is dead the electronic locks don't work . There are ways to " jump " from the interior of the car . But if that doesn't work what do you do ? You pull on the cables and now you are in.

maytag 01-10-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 587117)
They are emergency releases but designed more for dead battery situations vs. kidnapped and thrown in the trunks . When the battery is dead the electronic locks don't work . There are ways to " jump " from the interior of the car . But if that doesn't work what do you do ? You pull on the cables and now you are in.

I'm not sure that's precisely accurate.

From the NHTSA:
Quote:

SUMMARY:

This document establishes new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) No. 401; Internal trunk release, that requires all new passenger cars with trunks be equipped with a release latch inside the trunk compartment beginning September 1, 2001. Instead of a release latch, this document also permits the installation of an alternative system such as a passive trunk release system which would detect the presence of a human in the trunk and would automatically unlatch the trunk lid. During the summer of 1998, eleven children died when they inadvertently trapped themselves in the trunk of a car. This new standard will provide children and others who find themselves trapped inside a passenger car trunk a chance to get out of the trunk alive.

DATES:

Effective Date:****The effective date of the final rule is September 1, 2001.
Early compliance date.****You have the option of early compliance with this final rule beginning October 20, 2000.
Petition for reconsideration deadline.****If you wish to petition for reconsideration of this final rule, you must submit it so that we receive your petition not later than December 4, 2000.
Cables that you can fish from outside the car have been around for a long time. But the plastic pull handles that can only be reached from inside the trunk are specific to this mandate.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Frodo 01-10-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 587118)
I'm not sure that's precisely accurate.

Makes sense to me!
If you're in a "dead battery situation," how on earth do you pull handles located (along with the battery) INSIDE the trunk?

steved0x 01-10-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 587117)

There are 2 kinds of emergency release, I think you are talking about this one, part #12.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1547133143.jpg

Then there is this type, for if you get trapped in the trunk... 'Merica.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1547133184.jpg

I think there is one of each in both the frunt and rear trunks...

PaulE 01-10-2019 06:16 AM

Those interior pull handles in the trunk and frunk look like they are made of luminescent plastic, I wonder how long the glow lasts!

Burg Boxster 01-10-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 587128)
Those interior pull handles in the trunk and frunk look like they are made of luminescent plastic, I wonder how long the glow lasts!

Dunno. Jump in and investigate for us by closing the lid.

Post back results when glow goes out. Alternatively, you can also use your least favorite child ;)

Rest assured lawmakers spent endless hours and millions of dollars defining some sort of standards which mandate the luminosity duration as well as brightness. :rolleyes:

Ottomotion 01-10-2019 07:56 AM

Just to be safe, pack a bottle of water, some crackers and a cell phone....you could be in there for a while.

maytag 01-10-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 587121)
Makes sense to me!

If you're in a "dead battery situation," how on earth do you pull handles located (along with the battery) INSIDE the trunk?

Exactly my point.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Blackcloud 01-10-2019 12:16 PM

More government added garbage to add weight and protect idiots from themselves.

maytag 01-10-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 587150)
More government added garbage to add weight and protect idiots from themselves.

yeah.... i'm not a fan of government involvement either.... but here's the other side: I know a child who died this way: locked in the trunk while playing hide-n-seek, couldn't get back out. Hot day, black car, took less than an hour. it was devastating for the entire neighborhood. I cannot bring myself to try to imagine what it would be like to be that parent..... I sink into despair just thinking about trying to imagine it.....

So for me, every time I see that extra 16 ounces of extra weight you're complaining about, (it's a few feet of cable and a plastic handle) I think of that child, ..... and then I remind myself that it's okay to breathe again.

Frodo 01-10-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 587130)

Post back results when glow goes out. Alternatively, you can also use your least favorite child ;)

It's been done, not utilizing a child, but by one of my favorite posters from a few years back...

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1547160244.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1547160132.jpg

Frodo 01-10-2019 01:52 PM

And I would acknowledge the wisdom of your point, maytag...which you were posting about simultaneously with me. In the same vein, I never had any problem with requiring dumped fridges being rendered unlatchable.

To my friend's credit, I don't think she actually closed the lid!

rfuerst911sc 01-10-2019 02:22 PM

Yes I was referring to the first one shown by steve0x , to be honest I didn't realize our Boxsters had the other type . I'll have to check my 02 to see if it has them .

PaulE 01-10-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 587130)

Rest assured lawmakers spent endless hours and millions of dollars defining some sort of standards which mandate the luminosity duration as well as brightness. :rolleyes:

My boys are both full grown at 6 ft 6 inches and can barely fit in the seats, forget the trunk! We should all be glad the government isn't working on protecting us from hangnails and paper cuts!

dghii 01-10-2019 04:33 PM

Nothing wrong with having the emergency releases. Think how 20+year old shock struts don't hold the trunks up in a breeze.