Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

P0133 Code Help!

2001 Boxster S with 99,000 miles. Earlier this year, on the way to a track day the CEL came on during stop and go traffic. Got home after track day, hooked up durametric, saw code P0133, cleared the code thinking I had a "lazy" O2 sensor when it got hot. CEL came on again later in the year, in the same conditions, engine warm, stop and go traffic, cleared code again. Went to get smog check in Dec 18 failed because pending P0133 code. So I installed all (4) new O2 sensors (Bosch), cleared the code, did two drive cycles, hooked up durametic and code P0133 shows with out the CEL lighting up. You can see the sensor cycling in Durametric. Other than O2 sensors what can cause this Code?

brybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

P0133 is for the aging of the O2 sensor ahead of the three way cat on bank 1, period.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

P0133 Code Help

Jeff:

Thanks for your reply I understand what that code means and I replaced all the O2 sensors, cleared the code, did two drive cycles and the code returned. So I've eliminated the sensor from the equation. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybart View Post
Jeff:

Thanks for your reply I understand what that code means and I replaced all the O2 sensors, cleared the code, did two drive cycles and the code returned. So I've eliminated the sensor from the equation. Any other thoughts?
The new sensor could be bad, seen that more than once...…. Try moving the sensor to the other bank and see if the code follows.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-31-2018 at 03:15 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

If it's any consolation I having the exact same problem.

I went to smog my car and the P0133 code was present (original 02s 104,000 miles). I cleared the code and it stayed off.

I installed headers, and test pipe shortly after passing. I put all brand new 02 sensors in the car. I also put cat simulators on the down stream 02s. I drove the car for 1,000 miles with no issue, then P01333 showed up on the scanner. Cleared it, drove it for 250 miles it came back. And these were Bosch plug and play sensors. I am waiting for my replacement to show up, but if this doesn't fix it a RoW tune will be put in the car.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Hi all:

I did a reset of the ECU (battery disconnect for 20 Mins), then checked for codes, no codes, then did a drive cycle, good news is P0133 is gone, bad news is P0430 has showed up. This is maddening. I filled up at the track day with unleaded race gas at the track. Could this be fuel related?
Old 01-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Ok problem could be solved, filled up with shell pump gas, gave the Boxster a Tyrolean Tune Up, drive cycled again, no codes!